Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
If you haven't installed X11 - good, don't
If you have follow this http://www.appletalk.com.au/articles/index.php?article=12088 until you uninstall X11 then get back here.
If some of you have looked into HowTo: Install Ubuntu on Mac , we've discussed this a lot, so I figure why not make another thread make it easier on you guys.
1. Download Fink from http://fink.sf.net/ get your version for your mac. 0.8.0 - Tiger, 0.7.2 - Panther, 0.5.4, Jaguar
2. Install Fink and copy FinkCommander to your Applications folder.
3. Open up terminal and type in: sudo pico /sw/etc/fink.conf and look for "Trees". After stable/crypto type in: unstable/main unstable/crypto
Press CTRL+O, Enter, CTRL+X - to save and exit.
4. Try running:
fink selfupdate
fink index
fink scanpackages
I think only one of those worked for me, so you're still good.
5. Have Terminal opened again and type in: fink install xfree86 [but if that doesn't work try]: sudo apt-get install xfree86
6. Install whatever window manager you want - let's do KDE cause it looks good (I hope you have high speed internet otherwise this will take a while):
type in terminal
sudo apt-get install bundle-kde
sudo apt-get install kdebase3
7. Open up XDarwin - that's what fink installed besides apt-get and a lot of others - choose rootless and type in kwin then startkde in the xterm's that are open. If your OS is lower than 10.3.9 - update - as for Tiger I don't know.
8. It should have worked YAY!
-------
Optional stuff:
Here are some other window managers/desktops you can install.
sudo apt-get install enlightenment
sudo apt-get install bundle-gnome
sudo apt-get install icewm
sudo apt-get install blackbox
sudo apt-get install fvwm
sudo apt-get install fvwm95
-------
Now if you want to run it in a Window - like an 800x600 window see the link I gave the X11 installers. That tells you how to put it in a Window.
I really honestly believe this is how I installed all of the Window Managers and all that, but if it doesn't work, please post - I can help you as soon as you do.

csubear

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
here a pic of me running kicker on my mac, from my linux box ;)

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 862

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Good job. I have KDE as well. I'm posting a screenshot to show you guys what it looks like for mine. Also note, this is my iBook 500MHz, so you don't need a high class system to do / run this stuff either.

Attachments

• KDE.jpg
    KDE.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 721

redview

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2005
I just want to point the fact that everything works ok with Apple's X11 1.1.
I run a kicker on the left side of the screen and with this i start every kde app i want!
just great!!

redview

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.