Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctrlzjones

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
during the install of the Lion there must have gone something wrong.

there is a problem with the permissions to access some (not all) folders contents. It happens arbitrary in all kind of the file systems levels (disk/user/ ...)

I can of course correct to permissions with the folders info panel. But this would be one by one; and there are a lot of folders affected.

So I man sure that there is a way to set all the permissions of all the folders of that disk for once & for ever granting me to get inside.

How could that be achieved? A nifty terminal procedure?

__edit:__

found it! this here does what I want ...

cd /volumes/(Your_Volume_Name_Here)
chmod -R 777 *
(area = topmost folder where you are having the problem)
(777 gives EVERYONE read/write/execute permissions. -R means operate on everything below the topmost folder, * operates on every file)

Last edited:

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
during the install of the Lion there must have gone something wrong.

there is a problem with the permissions to access some (not all) folders contents. It happens arbitrary in all kind of the file systems levels (disk/user/ ...)

I can of course correct to permissions with the folders info panel. But this would be one by one; and there are a lot of folders affected.

So I man sure that there is a way to set all the permissions of all the folders of that disk for once & for ever granting me to get inside.

How could that be achieved? A nifty terminal procedure?

__edit:__

found it! this here does what I want ...

cd /volumes/(Your_Volume_Name_Here)
chmod -R 777 *
(area = topmost folder where you are having the problem)
(777 gives EVERYONE read/write/execute permissions. -R means operate on everything below the topmost folder, * operates on every file)

Giving everyone read write access to everything on your Mac may have fixed the problem but it creates a very insecure installation.

I suggest you consider making some small modifications. For instance, go to your home folder and make just the top level folder 755 (chmod . 755). This will keep prying eyes out of your home folder. You still have a system where even a guest account user could do great damage but at least you've put a block between them and your home folder.

Any further tweaks you make to permissions are better done one folder at a time, operating only on the folder rather than affecting the whole filesystem. Whatever you do, don't ever reduce permissions recursively from / or you might put yourself in a situation where you can't boot and even if you boot you don't have permission to run the programs you need to repair things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.