Howto Stream Music to another pc//(almost) free Airtunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by finnschi, Feb 8, 2009.

1. finnschi macrumors 6502

So You like the Idea of being able to stream your music over wifi? but you don't want to pay 100$ for a aiport base station? and you have some "old" pc/macs sitting around?

I found the ultimate solution for you!

I tried to stream my music (use my old laptops as a wifi speaker station) for some time now, and I recently found Airfoil http://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/ and it works GREAT!!! it even includes a video player which automaticly syncs the sound to the video(VERY usefull)

you only need The application, and another pc/mac, its really easy to set up, and you can not only stream iTunes music, but also any other sound on your mac!! I use it everyday, and I just wanted to share that, because i did not find any other solution! !

What I did:

I used a Old laptop (some old Acer 1,5 Ghz P4m) and modded it , I turned the Screen around so that it would look like a "tablet" then I put it behind a old Picture frame, and Now I have a 15" Pictureframe PC , running windows xP(yes it plays Doom) ;) I hooked up lots of speakers to it (using external soundcard) and then used Airfoil to get the music on there, then , I sit on my Sofa with my macbook and controll the music.

The Old acer is also used to show a slideshow of my pictures or to display a Visulizer!

I also recommend to have the "base station pc" hooked up to via cable(ethernet).

It works fine over G/N , but i wont recommend B (11mbits) , I used to only have a B network, and it was really laggy....

PS: i am now, deploying old pc's in every room in my House, so I can play the same song in every Room in my House in Sync!!! ( to save power they all have power on Lan, so I can Remotely start them, using my iPhone/mac)

The next step would be to directly stream music from ym iphone... although I can use Remote.app to basically have the same function... :cool:

PS2: if anyone wants pictures of the pictureframe pc, tell me :) :eek:

2. MurphyM macrumors 6502

I wouldn't mind seeing the pictures, thanks.

I love Airfoil too. It was great at Christmas for playing music I didn't really want to buy, with songza.