Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monroedave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
i am running a Mac 10.6.8 with a HP 3520 e-all in one printer.

it prints fine but i cant scan.

apparently you have to enable the scan to computer function in the HP utility window. however when i try to do that i get a communication error saying it cant communcate with the printer.

not sure how to enable.

thanks in advance

Dave

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
I think, starting with Mac OS X 10.6, most printer manufacturers don't even bother including a scanner utility with their included setup software. Try using Image Capture to initiate scanning. Or are you trying to get it where you push the Scan button on the mini display on the printer and it creates an image file on a computer?

Pheo

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
If you get really stuck, worth investigating the built in web server of your printer - I can get my HP all in One to scan using that. Works OK,

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
I have an HP 7680 all in one and am having the same issue. It worked perfectly in the past. I recently purchased an Airport Extreme and thought that was the issue, but I think it may be the Lion update that I did instead.

Pheo

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2011
Which HP do you have and how is the setup?

B109 from memory - it's just called an HP All in One

There was a button I found in the driver control panel - although it just opened Safari to a wierd URL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.