Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As noted by TUAW, HP this week released a series of firmware updates bringing AirPrint compatibility to eight more printers, offering users of iOS devices running iOS 4.2 or later the ability to wirelessly print directly from their devices.
By downloading and installing a firmware update from HP, the following printer models will gain full support for AirPrint functions:

- HP LaserJet P1102w Printer
- HP LaserJet P1606dn Printer
- HP LaserJet Pro CP1025nw Color Printer
- HP LaserJet Pro M1212nf MFP
- HP LaserJet Pro M1213nf MFP
- HP LaserJet Pro M1214nfh MFP
- HP LaserJet Pro M1216nfh MFP
- HP LaserJet Pro M1217nfw MFP
Firmware updates are available through HP's support site.

airprint_hp_paper_airplane.jpg

Apple had initially intended AirPrint to debut late last year as part of iOS 4.2 with support for a wide variety of printers, including the ability to print to printers shared via users' computers. Apple dramatically scaled back the functionality before release, however, and ultimately limited AirPrint compatibility to a handful of compatible printers from HP.

Support for AirPrint has gradually expanded over time, but still remains limited to just 27 HP printer models.

Article Link: HP Adds AirPrint Support to Eight More Printers

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Sorry if I missed something along the way, but why is HP on top of this? Is there some sort of exclusivity?

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
I don't know why I can print from my iPhone to an HP LaserJet printer (with no wifi capabilities) connected to my AirPort Extreme.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Some sort of patent if I remember correctly.

An HP patent?

I remember something about a patent as well. But I've forgotten if it was another company or HP's patent that Apple was infringing upon.

Either way, it's a shame. Hopefully they can one day give the shared printer functionality back to AirPrint.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
I don't know why I can print from my iPhone to an HP LaserJet printer (with no wifi capabilities) connected to my AirPort Extreme.

Because you're printer doesn't support driverless printing.
And neither do iOS printing drivers for your system exist, nor does Apple facilitate creating any.

But finally we get some affordable laser printers with AirPrint functionality...

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
An HP patent?

I remember something about a patent as well. But I've forgotten if it was another company or HP's patent that Apple was infringing upon.

It's HPs patent but the actual process involves PDF conversion so Adobe may be involved as well.
That's what I heard.

Sixtafoua

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2009
Boston, MA
I hate my HP printer, it's airprint compatible, which I like, but I hate everything else about it. Plus, the door broke off. :eek:

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I hate my HP printer, it's airprint compatible, which I like, but I hate everything else about it. Plus, the door broke off. :eek:

Haha, I've found that HPs printers (at least all the ones I've owned) aren't all that great.

They feel poorly built and they always make really strange sounds as if they're about to fall apart. They all sounded rickety! lol.

Maybe they've improved but next time I buy a printer it's not going to be HP.

Come on Apple! License those HP AirPrint-related patents and re-enable shared printing!
In the meantime, I'll try that hack.

-Ken-

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Oregon, USA
Haha, I've found that HPs printers (at least all the ones I've owned) aren't all that great.

They feel poorly built and they always make really strange sounds as if they're about to fall apart. They all sounded rickety! lol.

Maybe they've improved but next time I buy a printer it's not going to be HP.

Come on Apple! License those HP AirPrint-related patents and re-enable shared printing!
In the meantime, I'll try that hack.

If they're under $100, they're junk. The medium and higher end printers are quite nice.

Yes, it's a Captain Obvious statement but if you want a cheap printer, just avoid an HP.

Monadi

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
Apologies for my ignorance, but what happened to Airprint for other brands like Epson?

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Both Apple and HP make quality products, as far as HP printers go anyway. I've had two Epson printers, and two HP printers. The first one was an Epson: It died early due to ink clogging the printer heads. Same thing happened with the second one. The first HP we had lasted for what must have been about 6 or 7 years... It still would have been fine, but someone broke the tray. We now have another HP printer, and it has been chugging along just fine for about 2 years with no hiccups. I think HP and Apple fit together quite nicely in terms of product reliability. Now if only Apple would stop offering the mail-in rebate for Epsons...

Apologies for my ignorance, but what happened to Airprint for other brands like Epson?

HP already has something fairly different, but contains some of the tech required for AirPrint, called ePrint in many of their printers, and if I'm not mistaken, the only HP printers that support AirPrint also support ePrint. Support for all printers was supposed to have been introduced via printer sharing from your mac, but that was pulled, so this is all we have for now.

If they're under $100, they're junk. The medium and higher end printers are quite nice.

Yes, it's a Captain Obvious statement but if you want a cheap printer, just avoid an HP.

I've always believed in paying a little extra for quality, hence why I own macs. I avoid dirt cheap products because they rarely are any good. You get what you pay for and such.

Last edited:

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Both Apple and HP make quality products, as far as HP printers go anyway. I've had two Epson printers, and two HP printers. The first one was an Epson: It died early due to ink clogging the printer heads. Same thing happened with the second one. The first HP we had lasted for what must have been about 6 or 7 years... It still would have been fine, but someone broke the tray. We now have another HP printer, and it has been chugging along just fine for about 2 years with no hiccups. I think HP and Apple fit together quite nicely in terms of product reliability. Now if only Apple would stop offering the mail-in rebate for Epsons...

Do your HP printers make "it's about to fall apart" sounds? If not, I may reconsider buying one. Though I'll definitely go for a mid-range one and not a cheap one.

Yeah, the "piece of junk" sounds that my HP printers made really bugged me lol. I want a printer that sounds solid :)

adwebinc

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2009
Wish they would rollout firmware for my 309g, but since they released the 310, my guess is they will not. Helps with the whole planned obsolescence strategy.

yourstation

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Some of these printers really do make a mockery of the use of the word 'Pro'...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.