Hp C8180

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wayland1985, Feb 21, 2008.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502

Does anybody have the HP C8180? It's pricey, but man does it come loaded. Lightscribe built in?

I'll be using it for backing up my photo library, as my memory card reader, and for printing documents and photos. Also, the occasional scanning of documents.

Does the memory card reader function need to be directly connected to my mac? Or does it function via Bluetooth?

What is better for printing, blue tooth or ethernet connection? Is ethernet printing easy to set up?

Also, how well do these printers print photos? Comparable to 1 hour photo shops?

PS- I've tried using an HP all in one, but for some reason I can't use the scanner functionality. I guess I cna't find the right driver or something. Should this one work???

2. bindigok macrumors regular

I've never been able to get a wireless all-in-one scanner to work WIRELESSLY. I always have to connect via USB to use the scanner. I don't know about the HP C8180?????? I am thinking about buying this unit, but I've heard mixed reviews. Have any Mac users got the wireless scanning to work? What about Mac compatibility with Lightscribe?

3. danny_w macrumors 601

I am looking for a printer to buy this weekend and Best Buy has this one on sale for $240 (reg. $400). Does anybody have any experience with using this printer with a Mac? My wife currently has an HP Officejet 5610 that has worked well for 2 or 3 years but now is having paper handling problems and sometimes color problems. I am also looking at the Officejet J6480 wireless printer because of the document feeder and fax.

4. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

im using the hp photosmart c6280. even though it doesnt have built in wireless, if you simply connect it to a router (which i have) it is complelty wireless. there was a slight nigle when installing it with microsoft XP, as im still waiting for the educational discounts in the UK i havent bought the iMac yet. But i know HP software works very well with windows and mac os x.

very easy to set up as well...

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I just went to Best Buy tonight to look at the printers, and think that I liked the Officejet J6480 ($170) and Photosmart C7280 best ($305) the best. However, HP has the C7270 on sale right now for $180 (which they would not match), so I may order it from them. Has anybody used the C7280? Or the Officejet J6480?

6. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

I have a C7280. It is a very good all-in-one printer. Wireless printing works great on it and is the main reason why I bought it. Wireless scanning is slow, but it does work.

7. danny_w macrumors 601

Thanks, that's good to hear. I just ordered on last night.

8. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

One thing I can't stress enough is to download the C7280 drivers from HP's site. Do not use the driver CD that comes with the printer. At least when I got my printer, the driver CD was out of date and had several issues. Download the drivers straight from HP to avoid this.

9. danny_w macrumors 601

I was just going to ask this very question. Are you using Leopard? Does the duplex printing work well? I have heard of some people having issues with duplex on Macs.

10. chrisgeleven macrumors 6502

Yeah I'm on Leopard. Duplex printing works. What I had to do is create a printer preset so all of the duplex options were already configured. Makes it easier to switch to duplex printing if I want that.

11. danny_w macrumors 601

Thanks for all the info. That's very good to know.

12. danny_w macrumors 601

UPDATE: I got the C7280 printer yesterday and got it installed tonight. I have it hooked up wirelessly to my AEBS, and have the HP software and drivers (newly downloaded) on my MB and my wife's iMac. Both computers found the printer immediately and had no problem printing. I even printed some photos and they look quite good (and they printed fast!). I also tried the duplex mode and it worked like a champ. I haven't tried any of the fancy stuff yet, but that will come with time. So far I'm very pleased with my purchase, and it was well worth the $180 spent on it; the one it replaced (Officejet 5610) was $150 a few years ago, and this is worlds ahead of that!