HP Color LaserJet 1500L

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carloscane, Aug 12, 2008.

1. carloscane macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! I just bought a new MacBook so now I'm trying to add my printer. The problem is that my printer is connected to a Windows based PC and I'm connected to that PC in my network. I didn't have any problems printing like that when I used only PC's, but now that I have a Mac, when I try to add the printer I click "Windows" and then select my network, then the PC where the printer is connected and finally the printer. But then the system asks for some drivers, the problem is that I can't find my printer model in the list. Soo what I did was that I went to HP's web page and downloaded the drivers for Mac, I installed them and tried again but my printer model is still not there.

Then I tried connecting the printer directly to my Mac and I was able to print perfectly. Do you know if there is anyway I can fix this? I hope someone can help me. Thanks a lot.

[​IMG]

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Do you have the printer shared out by your PC?

When you installed the drivers, did you use HP's installer program to configure your printer "thru the network"? You can run the HP Setup program to do this.

3. carloscane thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I have the printer shared. Actually I had the same setup before just with PC's and I could print easily from everyone of them.

About HP's installer, I think I didn't use it, drivers just came with a .dmg file which later was an installation file wich automatically installed the drivers.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Look in /Applications/Hewlett-Packard/Device Utilities and you should find "HP Setup Assistant.

Run that.

5. carloscane thread starter macrumors newbie

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Ok, I checked out HP's website and saw that they only had the drivers itself for MacOSX, but those were released back in Oct 2003.

Even Apple's website for supported printers doesn't list your model.

Try this...

Reconnect your printer to the Mac. Delete the printer you added and add it again. See if your model shows up under "Select Driver..." or see what the Mac configured automatically. It may be using a Guttenprint driver.

Now, disconnect your printer and connect it back to your PC.

Try adding the printer again on the Mac as you did before, but this time select the same driver the Mac chose previously when the printer was connected to the Mac.

If that doesn't work, try configuring it as an "IP printer" instead of a "Windows Printer" (you will need the IP address which you can get from the PC Printer's settings.

Lastly if none of the above works for you, try configuring (again Windows Printer) using a different driver like the 2500 and try printing a page. This is a case of trial and error as you may have to select other drivers if one doesn't work correctly.

That's all I can think of now.

7. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Thanks. I didn't think of that. It would be a good idea to do.

9. carloscane thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help! When I connect the printer directly to my Mac, I'm able to print and it automatically selects the correct drivers (HP Color LaserJet 1500), I guess they are the ones I downloaded from HP website. I also tried adding the printer again now with the printer connected to the PC, but the drivers are still not listed! :( I also tried adding it via the IP tab by typing in the IP adress of the PC, but it didn't work.

So now I'm going to try the similar model drivers to see if I can print with one of those.

Nope, I haven't tried that. How does it work exactly? Do I just install it and tried adding the printer via IP or what? Thanks a lot for your help. :D

10. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

11. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

After you install Bonjour on your Windows PC, you would configure your printer on MacOS as your tried before...

...But instead of going to the Windows Icon, go to the Default Icon and see if the printer now shows up.