HP D4160 Printer does not work: new driver needed?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by awsariti, Dec 28, 2008.

1. awsariti macrumors newbie

After upgrading to Leopard, my HP D4160 will not print in Mac mode. (Works fine in Windows Vista). I note on the installation CD it is valid for Tiger....Leopard did not exist then.

Is there no "upgraded" drive available? Seems a bit odd...but I have searched the net and have found nothing.

Anyone have this problem?

Tony

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Apple includes a massive number of printer drivers with the OS X install. I specifically deselected them during install because they are collectively over 2 GB, but it's entirely possible that your printer has drivers in there, which is why HP doesn't have updated drivers available. It doesn't "just work"?

Also, have you checked HP's site?

3. awsariti thread starter macrumors newbie

HP D4160 and Leopard Problem

When I hit "print" now I am told the print "utility," the small icon in my dock, will not open or that it "quits" immediately. If I click the on-screen print utility icon I get the same message. The CD with the HP only mentions OS X 10.4 as I said, but why HP would not now provide a free download on their site (they do not) is a mystery to me.

Nothing happens automatically, and I don't see how the originally bundled drivers would be appropriate for OS X 10.5...since 10.5 didn't exist at the time.

I have not yet gone out and looked at the latest HP D 4160 offering in the stores to check info on the box...which certainly should tell a prospective buyer whether the thing will work with OS X 10.5 or not.

I am just assuming it is a driver problem...but not sure. If my printer works in Windows mode via Bootcamp, maybe it is not a driver problem.

Anybody have other thoughts? Also, I am thinking there must be someone out there who, like me, has an HP D 4160 and is running, or trying to run, it on 10.5.

Hope so:)

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The originally bundled drivers will not work in Leopard, no will the downloaded drivers. Leopard could come with the drivers preinstalled, which means HP does not need to update their drivers. Most manufacturers will say this explicitly on their driver site; it is odd that HP does not.