HP DEAD haha, onto MAC?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by itstheo54, Jan 30, 2011.

1. itstheo54 macrumors newbie

another hp motherboard gone, need a computer asap, only for internet and microsoft office, will 13in mbp be worth it now and will it last for 3 more years? especially with apple care.

2. simsaladimbamba

If you don't need the MBP for its Aluminium design or the backlit keyboard or the glassy screen or the Firewire port or the SD card slot, then even a MacBook will suffice.
    And yes, it will last three years, and if you have Apple Care, all manufacture defects will be covered.
    Also take a look at the refurbished section of the Apple Online Store to find better deals.

3. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

the white one is cheaper (even if you put the same amount of ram as the MBP), it has abetter wifi signal and doesn't bent :)mad:), it will be perfect for you.
    but to be honest, it depends on which 1 you prefer (aesthetically).
    And of course if you need firewire/SD card slot, go for pro. otherwise i would recommend the white.

one last note: if you'd like it to be smaller, you can take the macbook air, it would be even better for your needs.

edit: don't mind the backlit keyboard, the white macbook has white keys so you don't need them to be lighted.

4. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

As is so often posted on these forums, your needs could be met by a $300 walmart computer, anything else is just gravy.

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Agreed. For the most part a Mac is a "Want" rather than a "Need".
    You can do almost anything a Mac can do cheaper on the PC if price is an issue.
    As I say to most people, if you want power and price is a major factor then a PC will give you more bang for your bucks.

I and many others however feel that the "Gravy" is worth it.
    OSX is some tasty gravy though, I don`t swear at my computer anymore which makes it worth the money...:)

6. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I bought one of those $300 Walmart computers (an HP netbook) and honestly I wasn't too impressed. It serves it's purpose and all that stuff, though the keyboard is terrible and the screen is just a bit too small for my liking. I can deal with it though it's still a bit small.

7. deeesea macrumors 6502

^ It's a bit small. hee hee hee :p

But seriously, a 300 dollar walmart laptop will suit most users needs. Pick up a Dell Mini or something and hackintosh it, best of both worlds right there :p (cheap AND OSX).

8. itstheo54 thread starter macrumors newbie

300$walmsrt comp still will take 5 minutes to turn on, need to bu anivirus will prolly only live about 2 years before it dies. i think macs wayyyy better.

9. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

The Microcenter deal $200 off the MBP brings the price in line with the white MB (assuming you have a Microcenter nearby). The deal expires today but has been frequently renewed so it's something to consider.

I prefer the MBP to the MB but it's personal preference and FW800 for me.

Cheers,

10. a-m-k macrumors 6502a

a-m-k

By all means, YES... go for it! I was in the same situation you are in and bought my MBP and haven't had nearly as much bad luck I had with that HP.

If we kept that hunk of junk, it would have been mother board number three in three years time.

The only thing that has gone wrong with my MPB, I was stupid enough to delete off a duplicate of a vital icon. I didn't damage my MBP so much I couldn't USE it until recently. I am not sure what happened there anyway. I think I just threw it away.... but its back now. It was pretty easy now that I know how to get things back. Go with :apple:, and you won't be sorry. :) Good luck!