Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3engineer13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2009
After installing snow leopard on my 2.8 GHz 8-core Mac Pro, I cannot do duplex printing. I have also installed the 10.6.1 update. I presume snow leopard thinks my printer driver is up to date, since I have not received the HP printer driver update to install. I have even downloaded the HP Printer Drivers for Mac OS X v10.6 update from the Apple Support downloads site, but I get the following "error message" prior to the installation completion:
System extension cannot be used
The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/hpPlugInInit.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it or contact the product's vendor for an update.

There was a mention elsewhere of a check box in "print & fax" in system preferences to enable duplex printing. Unfortunately, I cannot find this check box.

macfan2050

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2009
you are right. I tried to download the latest driver from here:

http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/p_Download.php

Double-sided printing is there but still couldn't get it done in duplex.

Shame and super environmental unfriendly for Apple and HP to push users to buy new printers. They are still in great shape!!!!!!!

Come on HP/Apple, just writer a damn driver. Why wait for others to write one for your product?

GregSp

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
Here's how to fix it

As I was installing the update, I was getting the same error. So when the update completed, I went into the /System/Library/Extensions folder & deleted the hpPlugInInit.kext file. Then I installed the update again (using Software Update). No errors this time & it seems to be working fine.

Eberhard Werne

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2009
Hi,

THe Amazon now allows customers to upload product video reviews. Use a webcam or video camera to record and upload reviews to Amazon.

Synonymous with printing innovation, HP offers an unrivaled print quality and unsurpassed printer selection. Laserjet or inkjet, photo printers or all-in-ones, any purpose, any budget - the quest for the perfect printer begins and ends with HP. Diverse, innovative and value-conscious, HP's personal printers turn your desktop into a productive print center. Offered at a wide range of price points, HP inkjet, deskjet and photosmart printers deliver a combination of speed, quality and features.

Russet

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Bali
HP products and Apple

[Synonymous with printing innovation, HP offers an unrivaled print quality and unsurpassed printer selection. Laserjet or inkjet, photo printers or all-in-ones, any purpose, any budget - the quest for the perfect printer begins and ends with HP. Diverse, innovative and value-conscious, HP's personal printers turn your desktop into a productive print center. Offered at a wide range of price points, HP inkjet, deskjet and photosmart printers deliver a combination of speed, quality and features.

Sorry but my experience over many years is that this is rubbish. Hardware is very good, drivers are bad.

I have had endless trouble trying to get HP scanners and printers to work properly on Apple computers to say nothing of the huge amount of space required for the "bells and whistles" software much of which I didn't want to install. I am a professional, I want a scanner to scan and a printer to print.

I eventually sorted out my laser printer problems by loading open source Ghostprint drivers.

Long ago I came to the conclusion that HP as a company do not wish to support Apple.

Russet

JHBrewer

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2009
Canada
Same problem for Scanners

As I was installing the update, I was getting the same error. So when the update completed, I went into the /System/Library/Extensions folder & deleted the hpPlugInInit.kext file. Then I installed the update again (using Software Update). No errors this time & it seems to be working fine.

I'm having the same problem with the hpPlugInInit.kext directory (not a file!) but in my case it is not a printer problem but a scanner problem. I installed the scanner driver that (under 10.5) made my HP Scanjet 4070 work fine, but since I upgraded to 10.6 it keeps choking on hpPlugInInit.kext -- so I deleted it as you suggested; but I have no idea what to reinstall or from where, and I doubt that softwareupdate will do the trick. Obviously there is no point in reinstalling the original dmg. Any ideas?

ghutchison2

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2009
duplex working!

Hi. Just wanted to report that I was able to get mine working. I just downloaded the latest 6.23 HP drivers from Apple. My 6122 is connected to an Airport Extreme via USB. I changed the driver to a 6980 and told it to use the duplex option.

You may have to play around with the Collate button for it to work. However, it appears to be reporting correctly the ink levels now.

If you have a 6122 and SL, give the 6980 driver a try.

Gregg

hunter3740

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
photosmart p1100 lost two-sided (duplex) printing in Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6)

I'm having the same trouble with my HP PhotoSmart P1100: worked fine with Leopard (10.5 and before) but not with Snow Leopard (10.6): can't draft or duplex (i.e. no matter what I select, just gets normal quality single sided printouts).

Tried the included CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.3 (even upgraded to v5.2.4), tried hpijs (install ghostscript and foomatic first), and tried both CUPS+Gutenprint and Foomatic/hpijs Deskjet 970C drivers (as it's practically the same printer as my Photosmart P1100), but to no avail. Also, tried installing the Mac OS 10.5 drivers from support.hp.com, but it doesn't add any drivers to the list (i.e. it just runs and nothing really happens).

So (to sort-of agree with macfan2050), it's up to HP to create the new Mac OS drivers for their old printers (very unlikely and they would rather we just bought a new printer), or Apple to help out HP and support legacy drivers (unlikely, as they did provide a driver so that we can at least use the printer (albeit not duplex or draft quality/speed)); or, it's up to a third party to help the customer out (regardless of whose fault it is that this stopped working)...

...PrintFab 2: 30 day trial totally worked (albeit I had to use Deskjet 970C drivers to get duplex); but, I'm not going to be happy when the 30 days is up (as I'm not going to pay for this)--I will sooner manually duplex (and forget about a fast draft printout) and curse at HP.

If someone else has a solution for me (that doesn't involved downgrading to 10.5, as I love the Exchange integration into Mail, iCal, and Addressbook), please share.

hunter3740

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Not to crush hopes that new drivers will solve your troubles...

...Just wanted to report that I was able to get mine working. I just downloaded the latest 6.23 HP drivers from Apple...

...but I downloaded them too (click here), but to no avail (i.e. didn't seem to add any more drivers, even after restart); however, don't let that discourage all of you (just those who have the Photosmart P1100 or Deskjet 970C; i.e. save yourself a 387MB download); just see here first (all the way to the bottom of the page), to see if your printer is listed (e.g. mine was, but "gutenprint", which I already had, thus the seemingly useless download).

pphill

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2010
uk

So, I removed the file but using software update just says I am up to date! any ideas??

hunter3740

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
gutenprint 5.2.6 at least gets landscape

We should be at least happy there are people who continue to develop printer drivers: thank you gutenprint project for v5.2.6 (and sorry Mac OS 10.2 peeps, you're out); I can finally print landscape (but still can't draft (or can, but does some weird zoom out thing) nor 2-sided, aka duplex--my real hope). This is for my HP PhotoSmart P1100 and Mac OS 10.6 (and even tried DeskJet 970C, but didn't help my 2-sided cause--just no option for it when setting up the printer; which isn't the same as the checkbox when you go to print, which has no effect).

Another bone from HP is the manually duplexing:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL35975/mp-88750-2/HP_Two-sided_Printing.dmg
after you install it, in the print dialogue, click the PDF button and you'll see two sided printing; basically, prints odds pages, you stick the output stack of papers back into the input tray and continue (which prints the even pages)--but why did I buy this duplexing unit?!

Last edited:

FrogMN60

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2010
Duplex Printing on iMac - Snow Leopard with HP 6122

After installing snow leopard on my 2.8 GHz 8-core Mac Pro, I cannot do duplex printing. I have also installed the 10.6.1 update. I presume snow leopard thinks my printer driver is up to date, since I have not received the HP printer driver update to install. I have even downloaded the HP Printer Drivers for Mac OS X v10.6 update from the Apple Support downloads site, but I get the following "error message" prior to the installation completion:
System extension cannot be used
The system extension "/System/Library/Extensions/hpPlugInInit.kext" was installed improperly and cannot be used. Please try reinstalling it or contact the product's vendor for an update.

There was a mention elsewhere of a check box in "print & fax" in system preferences to enable duplex printing. Unfortunately, I cannot find this check box.
Do go to the Print Que and change the driver to the HP Deskjet 6980 THEN when you click on Drivers in the Printer FAx's window OR print Que window After you select the 6980 just in the middle of the window you'll see two check boxes one of them lets youchoose DUPLEX printing AND also be certai to shut down and restart your computer I failed to do this and my iMac still would not print duplex until I shut down my iMac and restarters it ALSO for safe measure I shut my printer off and turned it back on after my iMac was rebooted. Good luck Bob

hunter3740

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Still hoping for duplex

Thank you FrogMN60, the Apple built-in Deskjet 6980 driver totally makes my duplexer work for my PhotoSmart P1100 (but alas, the pages are blank)--there is hope! Would you happen to know of other two-sided (duplexer) checkbox available printers (that I might try them to see if one works as an alternate driver for my printer)?

If only HP had an easy way to just send an email to a driver development team (and then they post said new driver online).

whiskey01

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2012
I have done everything you guys have said from {hpijs has new drivers (v3.10.6.15)} to the (68whatever) described earlier in this thread. I still can not get the duplexing to work in my hp deskjet 6122. I do not know where it is located to select when printing for instance from a word document...? Can anybody shed some light on my situation. I have the latest Lion update.

hunter3740

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
upgrade = short term pain for long term payoff

Can anybody shed some light on my situation.

If hpijs isn't doing the trick, try gutenprint:
http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php
Get the newest 5.2.8, then re-setup your printer (note: gutenprint usually has the version of the driver listed in the printer selection list, so that you don't re-select an old driver). Once it's setup (and you go to print), you should either have a "Two-Sided" checkbox in the print dialogue box; or, like for Word, you'll have to pick "Layout" in the drop down menu, then pick long-edge binding in the Two-Sided drop down menu...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.