HP Device Monitor killing my computer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Schtibbie, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Schtibbie macrumors 6502

Well, we just bought a new HP OfficeJet printer and installed the software on our macbook (w/ Snow Leopard) and everything works great. EXCEPT that our computer has ground nearly to a halt. Looking at Activity Monitor I see that one process if lording over all of my resources: HP Device Monitor. It is using over 900megs of REAL memory and 2 gigs of virtual, and that's after less than a week running. On top of that, it uses between 7 and 25% of CPU at all times.

WTH?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need the HP device monitor running for your printer to work properly. Just shut it down.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd pass on the HP software. It's not necessary if you're running 10.6, in fact it actually made it impossible for me to scan things until I uninstalled it.

4. Schtibbie thread starter macrumors 6502

So I could do EVERYTHING the printer/scanner/copier/fax does without any HP software installed? You know what's funny: HP emailed me back after I emailed them about the memory leak in their software and gave me very detailed instructions for uninstalling their software, running repair permissions, and then installing from a link they sent me. It turns out the "newer" version of the software they linked me to is exactly the same version that came on the CD with the printer that I bought just last week.

They haven't fixed the memory leak. At the rate it leaks, the computer needs rebooting once every 3 days or so. Unacceptable.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As long as the driver is installed, you usually don't need any apps that come with printers/scanners.

6. Allegro Vivace macrumors newbie

Still a problem

Four years later and this morning I found my iMac with i5 processor with CPU completely pegged at 100% for each core and barely responsive. The system was also saying that it had run out of disk space for application "memory" whatever that means. Swap file? Anyway I had over 700GB free on my primary HD. Killed this HP Device Monitor from Activity Monitor and had to reboot to stop the OS/X message from popping up.

7. JAYMG macrumors newbie

Same memory problem as Allegro Vivace

I have been having the same memory error as Allegro Vivace where a persistent warning pops up saying my 'startup disk has no more space available for application memory'.

Spoke to Apple who said the problem was unusual, and went through the standard repair disk permissions steps, etc. I am now just waiting to see if the issue reoccurs (normally takes a few days after a restart).

I wonder if the HP Device Monitor is to blame (The message hasn't come back (yet), but the HP device monitor is is currently using 650mb of real memory).

8. ipride362 macrumors newbie

Same

I moved home for the summer, and my dad uses an HP super duper printer to fax overseas clients. My old printer (got it with my ibook such a long time ago) finally went kaput so I thought to just install the software to scan stuff, print, etc.

Being lazy in that regard, I paid for it.

I believe the story about the i5 bogging down. My 2008 MBP with 4 GB of memory slows to a crawl. I can't even visit the most basic websites or run textedit for the simplest scripts.

900 or more MB within 30 minutes. 70% of CPU. So I uninstalled it.

Funny enough, the built-in and updated Apple HP drivers allow me to use every part of the printer (scanning, copying, wireless printing) and is handled by Apple's programs. No need for it.

Just uninstall.

And I repair my permissions every month or so. Never has it been so bad since I installed this software. It had corrupted just about every single file in the Airport Utility software package, including files it shouldn't use (too long to list).

Just uninstall, use Apple's built-in. There's a reason their unofficial motto is "it just works". And we don't need a fancy app from HP (with memory leakage.)

9. zibberfitchy macrumors newbie

Uninstalled HP software, now can't scan

I had similar issues with the HP Monitor Utility. I installed the HP software and installed the driver "built-in" with Lion. However, it doesn't give me the option to use the scanner.

I have an HP Officejet 6500A Plus with WiFi networking. It is not connected via USB to my Mac. When I had the HP software installed, I could scan over WiFi.

10. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

You might try replacing the HP software for scanning with Vuescan.

My experience over the last five years is that HP's software easily wins the "buggiest software on earth" trophy, and places at the top of the "most bloated software" list.

11. nytbookreview macrumors newbie

HP Device Monitor gobble memory

I started to have the same problem - had my imac for a year. Wireless Desk Jet HP. Uninstalled it - worked OK for a bit then it came back. Uninstalled it again - uninstalled the printer app too. And then reinstalled it with the hope the leak was fixed at HP. Really annoying problem.

12. wykehamk macrumors newbie

see Lion CPU usage thread

Please have a look at the last post in the thread mentioned above. It worked for me