HP dm4x vs. MBP '11

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Goohfy, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Goohfy macrumors regular

Goohfy

Hey guys, have just been lookin' around at other core i5 laptops compared to the MBP, and the one thing that always is different is the price. I want a MBP , but I just customized a HP dm4x to see how much it would compare to the MBP's price and is still much cheaper. Here are the specs :
    • Microsoft(R) Office Home and Student 2010 (a $119 value)
    • 2nd generation Intel(R) Dual Core(TM) i5-2410M (2.3 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
    • 1GB DDR3 Radeon(TM) HD 6470M Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
    • FREE Upgrade to 6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    • 640GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
    • FREE Upgrade to Norton Internet Security(TM) 2011 - 15 Month Subscription (activation required)
    • 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery (standard)
    • 14.0" diagonal High-Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366 x 768)
    • SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support
    And that totaled up to 909 bucks. Now, should I grab the HP, or is there still reasoning to get the MBP, which I know there is, but I need more support on this cuz' I've been confused on what to buy for a while now haha.

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you need the specs or do you want Mac OS X and a longer battery life and a well built notebook?
    I assume you are talking about the 13" MBP; as the 15" and 17" MBPs have a quad core CPU.

Anyway, if you don't have a problem with Windows, then get the cheaper machine.

3. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

That's exactly it, I'd love to have that, but I guess I must save up a little more .

4. Trentolol macrumors member

Trentolol

Does the laptop come with iLife?
    Build Quality?
    Backlit Keyboard?
    and most important...

Mac OSX?

5. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Nope, and that's why I think I'm just gonna' get the MBP, plus I don't have to deal with any annoying security centers. Thanks for the help guys.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

I agree with posters above me. HP laptops (the new ones are well built) but the problem lies with MSFT. I have been a very very long time MSFT user and now I feel like I was under house arrest this whole time. Having bought an iPad and an iPhone I can see how well the OSx is built and how much more productive I will be. Nevertheless, being an Industrial Engineer I am all about ergonomics and saving time; hence, it makes sense for me to have a MBP such that all my work from iWorks and iPhoto and so on can remain in sync no matter where I go. Bottom line: MSFT is poop compared to a double chocolate chuck brownie cake with lots of whipped topping and a cute little cherry on top. Did I just make you hungry?

7. mrprescription macrumors newbie

I made a post recently about this same dilemma. I'm starting pharmacy school in the fall and I'm required to have a mobile computer. Nothing fancy, just something mobile... so anything will do. I already have a really good HP desktop that I can game with and do anything on, so I wouldn't need anything extremely powerful.. so I was looking at the 13 inch MPB.

I could probably get by just fine for the next four years with a HP laptop, but I feel like I would enjoy and use the MPB more especially considered since I would be using the MPB on the go every day the faster boot time and application loading with the SSD would be nice.

8. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I had this same dilemma and I was also a PC guy for the last decade. I got sick and tired of having to reinstall windows for a clean os. I also couldnt decide if I wanted a high end HP or a refurb 15" Macbook pro.

Well I decided to sell my high end PC that I built and just go with the macbook pro and im loving every second of it.

I love everything about the mac now.

9. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Ok, thanks for the replies, by July, I should be typing on a new MBP.:)

10. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

All I can say, as a MBP 15" 2011 owner, it is definitely worth it and remember to get AppleCare. If you get a good machine now it'll definitely last you a good 4-5 years if you get the high end 15inch model - the AMD/ATI GPU is definitely worth the price IMHO.

11. Laxaria macrumors newbie

I'm also leaning on the MBP between the two, even though my config of the dm4x is around 700-800 USD. There's something about paying more for Applecare that makes sense than the 1 year warranty of the dm4x. I could pay more for extended warranty, but I can't go into a HP shop to get something fixed or checked out...

12. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Depends what you are going to be using it for. And based on that, the OS would dictate which one you would choose. IF someone has the money, I will say 100% MBP, but if your a young guy going to university etc, and it will take you a few months extra to save the money, stuff that. That extra cash spend on a holiday or getting a GF, taking her out and seeing new stuff. Unless being a show pony is more important then having fun with the extra $$$ go the HP. Its just a tool at the end of the day, and being a computer will depreciate fast, it not like you are saving up for an investment. Also one last thing, Windows 7 is very good, so ignore everyone going on about their horror stories, as they relate to earlier OS of m$. As you get older, and have more $$$ around then you can spoil yourself with Apple products.

13. crispy12 macrumors member

Windows 7 is definitely much better than any previous version, I even have it installed on bootcamp on my MBP. If you're tight for money, I'd say go for the HP or even just a lower end netbook for school only since you have a powerful home PC.

14. Azadre macrumors 6502

Things I enjoy about OS X - Software integration. Quick Look is a killer feature to me. As is the system wide spell check. This features are well integrated and I do not even realize that I use them.

Windows 7 - Software support. Things in general run faster on Windows machines: flash, games, etc. And almost everything is available on Windows in a newer version than what is available for OS X.

I have a new 13" MBP, and I have an HP dm4x coming this week. I am not sure which one that I will send back because I would save almost $400 by choosing the HP.

I have a quirk where if I use one software/hardware, I want everything to match. That means I wouldn't want to own an iPhone because I am not sure how i'd sync calendars and contacts like I do now.

My biggest question is how is the fan noise, the battery life and the quality of the HP.

15. Azadre macrumors 6502

Though Apple has much better support with its local stores historically they have better made products. I am leaning toward returning the HP on this basis.

16. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Half agree Windows 7 is good but until I stop hearing my relatives constantly whining about problems then OSX will be much better.

17. SAVAGE5 macrumors member

SAVAGE5

Win7 is the best by far of all MS. But every computer it is on is so hideous and a pain. I hate BSOD and everything I have to do just to not have it. I just sold one of my best built PCs just to get the 17" because it's a portable desktop.

18. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

if you're going to primarily play games, then i would go with the hp. if games are more of a side hobby or not really a priority then perhaps the mbp is better for you. specs aren't really everything, but if you want to game, the hp laptop has some solid specs and is natively windows so you can just install all of the games you want on it. if you want to use it for media tasks, i don't think you will be disappointed with the build quality and performance of a mbp, and if gaming is in fact a side hobby, you could always install win7 via bootcamp and still play semi-intensive games on it. (assuming the 13'' with intel hd 3000)

19. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Well, I may actually be getting a MBP '10 for around 800 which has Nvidia.

20. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

that's the model i have, it plays games pretty well. don't let the 2.4 c2d be the reason to stop you from buying it. c2d, although quite outdated, paired with nvidia gpu is a nice combination.

21. crush500 macrumors member

The HP dm4x is a great laptop and a pretty good deal. I was considering either an HP or Sony before I ended up deciding on the 13" MBP. Both HP and Sony had good deals and very solid laptops but OS X was what made me choose the MBP.

I'd always been a PC guy but was getting fed up with Windows. I used Ubuntu a little and liked it but I didn't like it enough to use it as my main OS. I had a couple of friends who had gotten Macs and it got my curiosity. I decided to go ahead and get the Mac. I didn't have a big budget but I did have a little money to play with. The specs on the HP and Sony were better than the MBP but you also have to deal with all the problems that come along with Windows. I was tired of Windows. However if you don't mind Windows I'd recommend the HP. They really have some great deals right now. It is a solid computer.

22. Azadre macrumors 6502

What problems?

23. Goohfy thread starter macrumors regular

Goohfy

Well, I just got a great looking mid 2010 MBP for 840, can't wait!