HP drivers max out CPU -- 3rd party drivers??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bproffit, Jan 1, 2010.

1. bproffit macrumors newbie

I upgraded to Snow Leopard and had to download the latest HP driver for my Scanjet 2400. Suddenly it seems like my MBP fan is running a lot. It turns out that HPShortcutManager is maxing out my CPU--even when the scanner isn't connected! I checked the forums here, and I saw a note in 2007 that said that was a long-known problem with HP drivers. Can't believe they haven't fixed it!!!!!!!! Anyway, does anyone know of any decent 3rd party drivers or should I give this scanner to a Windows friend and get a new one from a company that know what they're doing?

2. SpudGT macrumors member

I have used VueScan for some time now and have been very happy with it. I started using it when I encountered problems with the driver for a Canon scanner.

I don't see the ScanJet 2400 listed on their web site, but try sending Ed an email.

The VueScan web site:
    http://www.hamrick.com/

3. altaskier macrumors newbie

The process "HPShortcutManager" is apparently buggy. You can turn it off.
    1. In System Preferences, pick HP Scanjet in Other. Click the gear at upper right, and select "Deactivate scanner buttons".
    2. In System Preferences, pick Accounts. Pick login items. Remove HPScanjetManager, so that this does not get automatically launched upon bootup.
    3. Reboot your system.
    This will disable the option of starting a scan by pressing a button on the scanner, but at least your system won't eat up the battery and run hot.

4. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Another very over-looked alternative is the built-in scanning/photo program, Image Capture.

5. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

You can also go into library\application support\hewlett-packard\hp scanjet scanner, and after quitting hpshortcutmanagerstartup in activity monitor, delete this app and then quit hpshortcutmanager and it won't startup at all.

My concern is that hpshortcutmanager might restart if the HP Scanner app is invoked, but at least this turd isn't going to keep running and eating my iMac for lunch.

And as for HP's 'support'? Hah! I don't know who they are 'supporting', but it's not Mac users... Whitman will probably be HP's last CEO...