HP drivers - Snow Leopard issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigboy99, Sep 21, 2009.

1. bigboy99 macrumors 6502

SL has included drivers for HP devices, but the scan features are limited (Preview or Image Capture.) Past versions of the drivers could be set to automatically open Adobe Reader upon scan completion. This no longer seems to be possible. Has anyone found a work around?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. The 10.5 drivers do not work with SL. I installed all of the new software, but Image Capture app is a cripple compared to the older HP drivers/device manager. The app cannot determine the correct size of a flatbed scan (it must be manually set), and there are no prefs. Using Preview merely loads Image Capture. Also, it takes forever to scan a document on a wireless networked device. HP no longer provides drivers, only Apple, and Adobe no longer automatically opens when the scan is finished. Another instance of breaking something that was fixed.

4. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

From HP tech support:

Thank you for contacting HP Total Care.

I understand that you are dissatified with the scanning options provided by the Macintosh OS 10.6 scan drivers, and you also get an error message that says that the operation could not be completed while scanning over the network.

We have received similar complaints from many of our customers and we are developing the HP software meant for Macintosh OS X 10.6. It has already been released for many Photosmart printers and it will not be long before the HP Photosmart C6150 All-in-One Printer software is released.

Please bear with us until then, you can expect the software within two weeks and it will be updated in the Software and drivers link for your printer model on our HP website. I have provided a link below.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=219&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=1153491

NOTE: Clicking the link(s) may give an error indicating that it is invalid. If this occurs, copy the link and paste it on the address bar in your browser until the complete address is displayed in the Address box.

I appreciate your patience. If you need further assistance, please reply to this message and we will be happy to assist you further.

For information on keeping your HP and Compaq products up and running, please visit our Web site
    at:
    http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare

There you have it.
    bb

5. macbook yes macrumors 6502

I have the C6380 and after SL it wont work at all. Not even the printing. I want to throw it out the window.

6. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

C6380 here too, and it works fine with just the SL drivers for printing and scanning (although as the OP said, less features than with the previous HP software). Did you completely remove all the old HP drivers and software and then set the printer up in SL? That worked for me after some initial problems.

7. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Thanks for the heads up. I am wondering whether to stick with the built in drivers which are working for me scanning over ethernet, or go for the full version again.

9. bigboy99 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was extremely disappointed with the Snow Leopard drivers for my 6150 All In One. They look and function like code from 5 years ago. HP has really done a good job with the software for their products, and I know they received a lot of complaints when the new Apple drivers replaced the HP Leopard versions. I'm still waiting, but will install them as soon as they are available.

10. Conefish macrumors newbie

HP Photosmart 7660

I've got the Photosmart 7660 and it will print test pages and anything to do with the utilities but it will not print any photos, word documents etc.
    The paper goes through and the printer sounds like it is doing something but it comes out blank.
    I've got snow leopard aswell and I am unsure if this is the problem or there is another problem, for example the printer?