HP DV9340 vs Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iPoo, Jul 18, 2008.

1. iPoo macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but been reading macrumors.com for a long long time.

I'm really considering getting a macbook really soon (depending on how much I get for my HP DV9340 laptop).

Basically my laptop has the following specs;

Microprocessor 1.66 GHz Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5500
    Memory 2048 MB (2x 1024 MB) Level 2 cache 2 MB
    Memory Max Up to 2 GB DDR2
    Video Graphics NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7600
    Video Memory 256 MB (dedicated)

How does this compare to the 2.4GHz macbook?

I've stopped playing games really - occasionally Football Manager 2008 or Sims 2.

Will the macbook cope with Sims 2 and to what level?

I'm not too techie when it comes to processors, so does the 2.4GHz really kick ass compared to what I have now?

Would I be at a disadvantage with the macbook as I'd be losing the Nvidia graphics card??

Thanks for your help!

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You will take a pretty decent blow to performance on those games. The biggest factors in game performance are the GPU and RAM as long as you have a halfway decent CPU. Which your current CPU has more than enough power to run those games. You will have to lower the video quality settings significantly for those games.

There really won't be many other disadvantages to the lack of a dedicated GPU in the Macbook. As I don't think Geforce 7000 series GPU's will be supported with the slowing increasing number of GPU accelerated programs due to the lack of CUDA.

If gaming is at all important to you I would say either spend the extra cash on a Macbook Pro or even better build an el cheapo desktop PC gaming rig.

3. iPoo thread starter macrumors newbie

We'll - to be honest, I've got a PS3 so gaming isn't much of an issue to me anymore so a little play on FM08 or Sims would do me fine once in a while. I don't mind playing sims at a low setting!!!

I've read in places that you can upgrade your mac as in take it back to replace with the newer version. So if I bought a macbook at the end of this month, then a new version came out the following month, could I take mine back and upgrade it? Has this happened with previous mac upgrades? if so, how much does it cost??

Thanks for your help!

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If it is within 14 days they may offer you some money back. But no they will not just simply swap it. If it is a custom order they will charge a restocking fee. Which I think also applies for open box items as well.

The only way I know of to get full money back towards a new one is if it is unopened and non custom order returned within 14 days of purchase. I have never heard of them simply swapping though.

The costs would be either the restocking fee if within 14 days or the difference in price between the new unit and the amount you could sell your used computer for on ebay.