HP Envy 17 vs. 15 inch MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TeddyLeroux, May 8, 2010.

1. TeddyLeroux macrumors member

ever since the new macbook pros came out i have really wanted one... now the 17 inch envy looks frickin awesome!!!!! The only thing the ENVY doesnt have is screenflow and camtwist.... I will be doing vids on YouTube and doin live streaming on UStream... i want PiP and be able to record my desktop... I also want to play iRacing and other games on Windows.... so considering that... do u think i should still go with the MBP??? or should i go with the ENVY???:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. rwdebes macrumors 6502

would like to know where you heard about ENVY 17 is out...
    no ENVY 17 buddy..

3. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

well actually there is a envy 17. from what i read it is due out next weekish or so. I think its *WAY* too big though. might wait another 8 weeks to see what the envy14 will be like and if it'll fit in my 13" MBP sleeve .. or what is in the 999 base model....

http://www.slashgear.com/hp-envy-14-and-envy-17-hands-on-0584319/

4. Bradan macrumors member

LEETLE MEN, TEAM IS BEBEZ.

17" is EZ mode. The Envy 14 is 16:9 vs 16:10, so it will fit but will probably stick out a bit at the end.

People exaggerate how big 17" is really. I know a number of people who are like 5'6"-5'10" who carry 17"-18.5" notebooks around without a problem.

They barely weigh more than a textbook and I carry 4 home everyday 2 km!

5. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Sorry the ENVY also doesn't have a 8-9 hour battery, amazing OS, much better track pad, and looks nicer. Go with the Mac, I'm sure it will last 2-3 times longer.

6. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

The Envy is a pretty well built machine, I see no reason why it wouldn't last just as long or longer than a MBP.

7. Mirabella macrumors regular

I could tell you all the reasons why I'd prefer the MacBook Pro (operating system, Apple software, etc.).

Then you could tell all the reasons you'd prefer the Envy (spiffy specs, etc.).

In the end, it's a matter of what you value and what you want. It's like asking whether you should eat a blueberry pie or an ice cream sundae. Well – do you want ice cream or pie? Only you know what you like best and value most, and why.

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I think they should make a Envy vs MBP part on this forum!

9. b4uloveme macrumors newbie

b4uloveme

Have you ever had the terrible experience with HP?
    very Hot(I mean temperature), crazy noise of fans, that exactly what HP is,
    if you really wanna pay that much money on the HP stuff,just go ahead. you will regret very soon.

10. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

There's no way I will buy an HP again. Last one (about 3 years ago) had so many problems, specially a cooling problem that made it run really hot, so I ended selling it and buying a MacBook, I passed the HP to my wife and the mainboard burned 3 months later.

HP never took care of it and blamed the fault in missuse.

No way I will never buy or recommend an HP or Compaq to anyone.

11. b4uloveme macrumors newbie

b4uloveme

you see, too many people with the same terrible experience with HP,
    Hp was very popular since the thinkpad belonged to Lenovo,
    a lot of people bought Hp laptop,
    but years later, a lot of people' experiences proved that HP is the abbreviation of Horrible PC!

12. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I'm picking up a MacBook pro 13, decided on that vs the 15. But I'm also waiting for the updated Envy 15 (rumored to have backlit keys etc). Playing with an dual SSD I5 Envy it was one bitchin machine and high quality too, I really liked it. I think the os system argument is tougher now with how nice and good win 7 is, it's everything that pos Vista should have been and reason I still ran XP haha. Personally I've always had HP stuff with no trouble, my laptop just started giving me trouble yesterday after 4 years of extremely hard use, and I know people with macs that did nothing but send them in for service constantly.... Still looking forward to my pro 13 though!

13. dreven79 macrumors member

dreven79

There is no basis for this comparison or is it just me...

14. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

you're right, there's no way to compare an Apple computer with an HP.

Quality, customer service, etc...

15. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

When i buy a Computer, i have a different perspective:
    "I'm getting a Mac: Which mac should i get?"
    I am getting a PC: "which PC should i get?"
    but i don't mix them since the usage is different, also the price range

I don't really like the Envy, starting from the name

16. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Without trying to being biased, I would first wait a of month or two and troll through the various relevant forums and analyze the various user feedback as they accumulate. This is priceless and can be far more informative than product reviews and spec sheets themselves as the latter two does not provide you with much in terms of usability information like when do the fans kick in and how noisy are they? Will your left palm cook on the rest after prolonged use?... blah blah blah.

In my opinion, some of the stuff I've read in the Mac forums is nothing compared to some of the stuff I've read on the Envy forums but I'll let you be the judge of that. Saying that, there's no point in reading feedback and reviews on the other models of the Envy as this can be a bad gauge. For instance, the heat issues on the smaller models may not be apparent on the newer and larger models etc.

Most importantly, you'll have to look at your specific requirements and judge what is the best for you.

Lastly, its not all about spec's!

17. b4uloveme macrumors newbie

b4uloveme

you are right, you know what? Hp gave the name Envy to that laptop,
    it means that Hp envy apple's macbook pro, so they make a laptop looks very similar with macbook pro

18. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

They both copy eachother like every manufacturer.

19. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Got my Macbook Pro 13, love it. But I'm still getting an Envy 15, if they refresh it with backlit key's, e2e, and the cleaner keyboard like the 14/17 have and the new Pavillion line will have (which is going aluminum and updated as well now). Then I can have two badass computers on each system. The 1st gen Envy's had some issues (hp bought voodoo and starting playing around), the new ones though are excellent but the i7 quad sucks battery life and gives a lot of heat, the 540m I5 is the bomb overall imo. but between the two os's, Windows 7 is so good now I have no complaints, Vista sucked donkey balls and I had all my computers still running XP b/c of that lol.

But I'm loving this Macbook Pro 13, for some reason it feels more solid and better quality than the 15/17 maybe b/c of the size? This one is a 2.53ghz, 4gb mem, and 500gb hdd, excellent performance. I think apple still has a slight advantage with the track pad but HP released updates so the Envy trackpad rocks now, but I think the MBP feels slightly better to the touch for some reason. I'm suprised at how quick this computer is, I don't really notice a difference between this and say a mid level i5 and possibly a top i5.

20. cyclical macrumors regular

The Envy seems like a nice enough machine, but I'm really not diggin' the paisley-ish etchings :( . A more neutral pattern would've been better imo.

21. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

What you describe is true to a few of my previous and to my current Macs. And for that much, with these problems, they are not even fast.

22. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Its actually a tactile design as its laser etched so it gives it a very cool tactile feel to it. But I agree I don't like the floral design, the new aluminum Pavillions are laser etched but with a cool design, thats what they should use.

23. gordonyz macrumors member

mobility HD5850:eek:
    MBP 17 5 years away may equip VGA card that perform the same lv.

24. shadygrove macrumors regular

I wouldn't buy one. They look thick from the video. Also, they next thing I noticed was the seems. It look like a typical PC laptop on the bottom. You add the battery and now that's thick heavy laptop. Why do PC manufactures feel like its a good thing to offset the tiny trackpad? I also hate the two defined buttons on the bottom as well. Also, from the guy's wordage in the video it sounds like the keyboard backlight had one setting, 'on'.