HP Envy 27" with rMB 12"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ahostmadsen, Feb 7, 2017.

1. ahostmadsen macrumors 6502a

Will this monitor work well with the rMB 12"? It is cheaper and larger than the 21.5" LG/Apple display.

2. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, thank, I saw it. It seems HP cut some corners to get the price down. For my usage, those features are not needed, so it seems the most cost efficient solution -- in that I prefer a 27" screen to the 22" of the Apple/LG.

But the test was with a MacBook pro, so it doesn't really answer how it works with the MacBook.

3. andy9l macrumors 68000

My 1.1 GHz 2015 rMB struggles with my 4K monitor. It's not a good experience for anything other than very basic usage.

Worth noting, the performance is far worse when performing scaling that isn't exactly 1x or 2x. You'd likely want to run the 27" at 1440p scaled to @1.5x, which I also do - it's far worse than 1080p scaled @2x in terms of performance.

I'm upgrading to a MBP as a result.

4. bill-p macrumors 65816

I'm using a Lenovo ThinkVision X1 with my MacBook 12" 2016 just fine. Just had to replace the stock USB-C cable with a 3rd-party one for the display to work properly.

If you haven't checked, I think the Lenovo is a good alternative to the HP Envy, offering more IO options, a webcam, built-in speakers, and a sleeker design (thinner panel) for not much more money.

On that note, in my experience, 2016 MacBook does seem to run 4K better than 2015 MacBook, so please keep that in mind. I think it also helps that I have a M7 instead of the base 1.1GHz M3. In practical use, the M7 is only ever so slightly slower than my rMBP 15", and the difference in processing speed only shows when running things like the iOS simulator (rMBP 15" is literally twice as fast)

5. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

So, as I mentioned in another thread, I ended up buying the HP Envy 27". In most ways it works very well with the rMB (I use it in 1440p), but for one issue: the screen has issues waking up when the MacBook wakes up. Sometimes, it simply doesn't wake up. Sometimes, it wakes up too slowly. So, the MacBook moves all windows to the internal screen and resizes them, and then a moment later moves them back to the external screen. Not fun to look at. Most times it wakes up correctly. But I don't see any system to when it works and when it doesn't work.

Is that an issue specific to the HP Envy. Or is it the MacBook's issue?

6. irock101 macrumors 6502

irock101

This monitor is the biggest scam ever. It doesn't even fit properly on the stand. If you're cleaning your desk you're risking having your screen do a faceplant on your desk.

7. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, the stand seems slightly fragile. I can still return the monitor, but so far it works well except for the wake-up issue.

On the other hand, the monitor did survive an earthquake without falling off!

8. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I realize now that most of the time the HP Envy 27" does not wake up on time when the rMB wakes up. I didn't realize earlier, as macOS is very good at moving windows around and resizing them. So, the rMB wakes up, moves all windows back to the internal screen, then the HP Envy 27" wakes up, and all windows are moved back to the big screen.

Is that only the HP screen that has that issue (I'm talking USB-C screens, my other HDMI screen does not have the issue)?

I still have some period where I can return the screen.

9. ofarlig macrumors member

It is a bit hit or miss with USB-C it seems, even HDMI screens via my Apple adapter is hit or miss. My current screen cannot be woken from "sleep" without replugging the HDMI, worked fine on my last screen but that one randomly dropped and reaquired the video signal instead (which my current doesnt). My current also cannot run 1440p (works fine at FullHD) on the same HDMI cable that the old screen could. I have to use the included one until I have bought new shorter cables. So yes, there seems to be a lot of weird problems with different screens when using the USB-C macs.

Also I am surprised people are talking about 4k on 27" is too small to run without scaling, to me it sounds perfect. I am running 1440p at 24" and I could have it all smaller if it gave me more real estate. Then again I run 1680x1050 or 1920x1200 on the 12" Macbook display so I like the real estate.

10. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, thanks, so it seems the problem with waking up is not only for the HP screen. I'm still within the return window, but except for the waking issue I'm happy with the screen.

I tried to run it without scaling, but everything becomes too tiny. I think 1440p is perfect.

11. ofarlig, Feb 27, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2017

ofarlig macrumors member

I can also add that my friend has problems with his LG 5k display via his 13" MBP with touchbar, he has to restart the computer quite often after the computer has been sleeping, as even unplugging and replugging the USB-C cable will not give him picture.

12. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good to know, as I was thinking of returning the HP Envy and buying the LG 4K monitor; but if that has similar problems, there is no point, as I like the larger HP screen.

13. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

It seems 10.12.4 has solved
    It seems (although a little early to be completely sure) that 10.12.4 has solved the issue with not waking the screen.

14. ahostmadsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can confirm that upgrading to 10.12.4 solved the issue completely. Thanks for letting me know about the LG display. I almost returned the HP display because of this issue, but knowing that the LG displays also had the issue made me keep the HP display. And now Apple solved the problem.