Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mpConroe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Arbroath (UK) / Wroclaw (PL)
Hi, I just purchased the old Apple PowerBook G4 12'' and I wanted to use it as a spare machine for printing documents and stuff. I installed old Office '08 but I can't force it to run the HP Envy 4520 printer.
The computer see it on the network, but the button 'Add' is grey and it doesn't let me to add this printer.
I did some research on the Internet, and HP doesn't provide official support for OS X 10.5 Leopard.
Does any one know if there is some old drivers somewhere? I don't know what to do :( .

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
There are drivers for the 4500, I believe. You could try those and see if at least basic printing functionality works.

The only other suggestion might be looking at Ghostprint or gutenprint for generic basic printing but I don't know if either Leopard or your printer will fare well with that.

The problem is that your printer us too new to use with PPC hardware and, in my experience, cheap printers are rarely supported for more than a couple of years on Mac by their manufacturers anyway.

mpConroe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Arbroath (UK) / Wroclaw (PL)
Ok, so there is no simple solution.

First of all, there is no Leopard driver for this printer.

So I went to ebay and bought Canon MP250 which works perfectly via USB with my PowerBook G4. This printer comes with CD with drivers for Leopard and I think Tiger too (but I'm not certainly sure).

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
I see there is a driver available for the next version, "Snow Leopard",

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Print...r-HP-ENVY-4520-for-Mac-OS-10-6-8/td-p/6588614

Any chance you maybe tried this driver?

Late to the punch here but I can confirm that my PBG4 5,7 10.5.8 prints text fine to a HP ENVY photo 7858 aio printer using the Guten Print HPDeskjet 916C driver over wireless network. I am currently trying to pull out the fax & scan kexts (via pacifist) from the apple snow leopard driver linked to above but no luck so far.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.