HP Envy Printer - Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ellen, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Ellen macrumors regular

I'm planning to buy the HP Envy Printer from the Apple Store (I really need a wireless printer that doesn't look like a printer....) but have noticed a lot of user comments there and at various other sites complaining about a firmware glitch. Basically, the printer prompts you to download a firmware update wirelessly, which doesn't complete itself and the screen shows an error message that won't go away (people refer to it as an update loop). Some of the comments are several months old and I can't tell if the issue has been resolved. So I was wondering if anyone here has purchased the Envy printer from the Apple Store recently, and are you able to install firmware updates wirelessly.

It's possible to disable firmware updates but I'd like to know the current situation.

Thanks!

2. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

I can confirm the problems.

Sold one myself like 2 months ago
    and had exactly the same problem.

I don't know if this problem still is recent though.

I send the device back to HP.

I've gotta admit, it looks very nice, and also the built quality is really above avarage.

3. Grolsch30 macrumors member

Hi,

I bought one in February (UK Comet store).

Set it up no problems.
    Then when I switched it on again it said that there was an update so I pressed ok, that's when my issues started and suffered the same fate as it went into an update loop.

Phoned HP and they passed me through various departments, until I got through to someone in India in the Tech department.

He said I can either return it to store for an exchange or HP pick it up and they send me a refurbished one! ( I refurbished one after 2 weeks spending £ 200+ on this new one!!!!)

So planned to return it and exchange it at the store, luckily I phoned the customer service up and they said I needed an authorisation code off HP which they obviously did not give me.

So back to ringing them up, long story short finally got this code and went back to the store and exchanged it for a new one.
    Set it up but most importantly of all I changed the auto update setting to manual and have not made any kind of update whatsoever in case this happens again!

Why don't HP just pull the particular update that is causing this issue?!,,,

4. Ellen thread starter macrumors regular

If anyone has the update problem with the Envy, would you know what your firmware version is? I just bought the 410a from Amazon, and can't tell if the issue has been addressed or if I should turn off the updates. Thanks.

5. Ellen thread starter macrumors regular

I was curious if anyone knows if HP has addressed the "update loop" issue? I bought a printer from Amazon about 3 weeks ago and for various reasons am only now setting it up.

6. Grolsch30 macrumors member

I have no idea if HP have fixed the bug a google or look on the HP support forums maybe a option.

If I were you (and like i did with my replaced Envy), i would set it up as normal and go into your update settings menu and deactivate the auto update stting to manual.

This way you can use your printer and not let it update automatically by itself which may cause an update loop if it has not been addressed by HP.

7. shaun319 macrumors member

what printer does everyone recommend to work seamlessly with a mac setup over wifi?

8. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

I had the update loop problem as well and had to send off for a replacement. They informed me that they are working on a fix, and to make sure to turn off automatic web updates on the replacement until further notice.

The replacement is working well, and other than the hassle of sending the other one in I do like the printer. Works well with my iPad.

9. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Shaun: Depends what your needs are - If you don't need color, a good inexpensive monochrome laser is great to have. You don't use (and don't have) color ink that you don't want. You also don't have to print every so often to keep the ink from drying - it's already dry powder.

If you *want* color, and you also have an iPhone or iPad, I'd recommend one of the recent HP models with e-Print built in - not only are they fully compatible with the AirPrint functionality in the iOS devices, but you can also give them an email address, and email photos, documents, whatever to the printer directly, from any e-mail capable device (phone, tablet, computer, etc.)

The Envy happens to be e-Print capable, but I find it outrageously expensive for what it does. I think you're paying more for the design than the function. Holds very little paper, uses the cheap (i.e. 2 cartridge) ink system - which is again, pretty expensive for what it is - you run out of one color in the tri-color cart, and you have to throw it away and waste however much ink is left in it. *Always* better to get the individual inks per color (for HP e-Print printers, that would be either the 564, 920 or 940 series inks.)

10. FearlessSpiff macrumors member

11. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    As FearlessSpiff indicated, the firmware to fix the "update loop problem" is on HP's web site and I applied it no problem.

I've only had the printer a couple of days - I did a lot of reading on it before pulling the trigger and it certainly meets my aesthetic demands like no other color inkjet printer out there. (My day-to-day home office printer is the stunning multi-function Samsung SCX-4500 laser printer - these two machines compliment each other well.)

Among discussions out there, two major items were noted as negatives:

1. The "update loop" problem (which now has a fix.) When I read this, my first task was to turn off the auto-updates on the printer itself so I wouldn't get caught in that problem. Basically within the same day, lo and behold, a firmware update came out, so I applied it via my Mac wirelessly to the printer - all went well, and I still have auto-updates turned off just as a precaution.

2. The front panel of the printer opens to release a printed page, then is "supposed" to close after you take the paper out. Many times, it does not close, thus ruining the overall "cool" factor of the device - it just stays open. If you manually close the door, then print again, it performs normally for as long as the printer is NOT "asleep," once the printer goes to sleep, this somewhat annoying cycle starts over again.

You can search the web for "HP Envy Printer door" and find forums where the issue has been talked to death for months. In the grand scope of life overall, it's not a show-stopper, and I really LOVE this printer-scanner-copier in many respects, especially its' look and overall operation. (A great treat is being able to have the option to print on both sides of the paper automatically!)

But a big selling point is, after all, the "fun" of the door opening, the paper catcher sliding out, and everything resetting back in place when you remove the print job - as I stated, after it goes to sleep (you can choose only 5 or 15 minutes, that's it) the door does not "remember" to close after that first job. If you close it manually, and the printer is "awake" it will open and close normally.

When and if that gets properly addressed, I don't know. But, for now, it's not enough for me to return it for the other color inkjet options out there - I don't relish the idea of having an SUV-sized hunk of plastic taking up my desk real estate. It's a small cost for the return of having a beautiful machine. Art for Arts' Sake? Perhaps. :cool:

12. FearlessSpiff macrumors member

I could update to the newest firmware without problems. But I have the door bug too. Its really annoying.

13. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

Thanks for all the posts guys. This printer really interests me. I wonder when they'll release a successor to this model.

14. Freis968 macrumors 6502a

Freis968

The Kodak ESP 7250 AIO printer I have works PERFECTLY over WiFi with Mac. I would imagine the lower priced 5250 would as well. The 7250 has a few more bells and whistles than the 5250 but if you want rock solid wireless scanning and printing go with the Kodak, if you must have a printer that is...:)

PS I looked at that HP Envy awhile back and was really taken with the "beauty" of it and really considered buying one at the time. After reading this post I am glad I didn't so as to escape the horrors you are describing.

15. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

16. Plastics macrumors newbie

Printer Door HP Envy

Has anyone found a solution to the printer door staying open for undue lengths of time?

----------

Th door never seems to stay closed - Is there a solution?

17. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I still have not found a solution for the door remaining open after sleep either and have been looking weekly. :(

18. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

With HP killing off their pc devision and webOS, I am kinda not sure if buying a printer from them is a good idea at the moment.

I fear support for their webOS printers is dead.

19. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I do not believe they are killing off their printer business, as they make a HUGE amount of money on ink and toner cartridge sales and that is a completely separate division in the company. The PC market has turned into commodities and the margins are now so low for everyone except Apple (not sure why Apple can figure out how to make money, but nobody else can - different topic!).