hp envy vs upcoming mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harmonica01, Oct 26, 2009.

1. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

They have a thread on insider like this..

Your ENVY 15 series

Operating system Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-bit edit
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-820QM Processor (1.73GHz, 8MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB) edit
    Memory 8GB DDR3 System Memory (4 Dimm) edit
    Hard drive 500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection edit
    Graphics card 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 4830 edit
    Display 15.6" diagonal Full High Definition LED HP Ultra Brightview Widescreen Display (1920x1080) edit
    Personalization Webcam Only edit
    Networking Intel Wireless-N Mini-card with Bluetooth edit
    Included Software Bundle Envy Instant On Solution, Corel VideoStudio Pro X2, Corel Paintshop Pro X2, Stardock My Colors edit
    Keyboard HP Color Matching Keyboard edit
    Primary battery One 6 Cell Lithium Ion Polymer Battery + One 9 Cell HP Envy Slim Fit Extended-Life Notebook Battery edit
    External optical drive External Slot Blu-Ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD+/-R/RW Double Layer with 2 USB Ports edit
    Productivity software No Productivity Software edit
    Your additional options:
    Click edit to modify. NOTE: These items are in stock and will ship immediately.
    HP Care Pack Services 3-year Total One Service with Accidental Damage Protection

All of that for 3060 in a 15.6" model still 1" thick.

Now, apple won't be so cavalier for 1gb gpus in mobile devices for some reason. So how much of this could be a possible competition mark for macbook pro vs hp envy in nov/dec/january?

I suspect, we will get mobile 4600x series 512mb ram top build to order
    the 7xx series i7 quad cpu
    still only 2 ram slots so standard 4gb included
    really don't expect battery life to compete with HP's new 9 cell technology that supposedly gives 17 hours with 2 batteries inserted, apple likes their unibody set up (which has its losses, i think back to the black pismo laptops)
    Blue ray...probably only a build to order option on 17" for a stupidly high fee as I said on another post somewhere

If HP is charging 3k for this, thatll prolly be a whopping 3500 for an apple laptop...

I really suspect since Apple is trying to stay cheap that they will cap the high end 17" at 2800 limiting available transplants of newest technologies. Nonetheless, whatever we have out in February is what I will be purchasing for mobile + desktop replacement movie editing work.
    Let's start the guessing, rep to whoever gets closest.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm... Apple doesn't respond, they innovate.

Processors will obviously get updated, graphics is likely - the rest is anyone's guess.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, HP ripped off the the MBP design, no apple will not "respond"

Go back a few years and gateway continually copied apple's design. Where did that get them?

Dell tried the same thing and to a small degree they're still trying.

I do think this particular implementation is rather embarrassing for HP, Its such a clear rip off you need to wonder if they have any R&D anymore.

I'm sure it will appeal to the segment of users who want a MBP but not OSX but windows.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Apple has never really responded not counting the switch to Intel. If Apple wanted to compete, they would drop prices. Apple does it's own thing and watches everyone jump on their products. I think that working just fine for them.

5. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Apart from the optical drive the HP will beat the MBP hardware-wise in most categories. Maybe even the revision after the next one.

The latest rumor says Core i7 and ATI 4500 GPUs.

I expect 2 RAM slots and 1600x900 resolution (if they go 16:9).

6. harmonica01 thread starter macrumors 6502

AYe, seems to be a big push for 16:9, I just cant see that happening on the 13's, maybe on the 15 and 17.

I think we all know HP's ripoff effect here, they are really being threatened. Nonetheless, whether in a direct response or not, apple will react to it. I can't find the article anymore, but on Saturday I believe it was la times that reported the # of preorders on the high end envy. The big thing apple has going for it, and I cant figure why this has dropped from cliché commenting..is even with inferior pieces inside the laptop, with it all being designed to complement each other part, osx simply runs all the technology better, and more efficiently. Most of my friends who swapped from vista notice that before anything else. Even as weak as the 9600gt is, the capability of the mbp's have been astounding.

As for apple being innovative, not reactive...yes and no -- markets as they are and objective buyers just looking for the most for their money are simply going to do a side-by-side comparison and the things we associate with the mac to give it a higher par will not be a factor for them. Remember, apple is constantly trying to appeal to new buyers. Not going to do that by seeing a major competitor knock on your door with so much offered and not even trying to compete with it. In that sense, apple "innovation" becomes little more than a cop out which I strongly doubt is what the company is about -- now more than ever.

7. klee1987 macrumors regular

HP doesn't have that special "halo" that apple has.

period. lol

8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Ouch... I burned my thighs!

Close the lid and fry burgers on that thing. :eek:

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I would say MacBook Pro, you know why?

Well two reasons, one it is because it is a Mac, and the second, reason, At least the MacBook Pro design is original, not a ripoff of another company!

HP needs to come up with their own designs, and the old VooDoo Envy 13 was a nice design, and then HP took over them and came out with a MacBook lookalike....niice move right?

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No they have horns and a pitch fork - oh wait that's dell :p

11. harmonica01 thread starter macrumors 6502

12. Thunder82 macrumors 6502

My thoughts exactly. All my buddies with HP laptops have BIGTIME overheating issues as it is already. Not that MBPs don't have their own set of heat related issues, but these laptops are essentially worthless b/c of poor heat dissipation.

13. joina macrumors member

The HP envy 15" is better than current MBP in anyway except it feels like fake mbp
    if HP can stay in its own design(VooDoo) i will just buy that intead of upcoming mbp but not the "fake mbp"

14. jdm111 macrumors regular

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dell were a few years behind...

15. Odysseusdk macrumors newbie

I just had a feel at the hp envy today, and compared to my umb it feels VERY cheap, the screen has crazy flex! The base is very rigid though.
    Closing the screen results in a loud "clack" where the unibody construction is very solidly built.

16. nitromullet macrumors member

nitromullet

Obviously, HP copied the exterior look of the uMBP, but I don't think you can say that they didn't introduce some good ideas/concepts of their own.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiYz9ZpK4z0

- the external optical drive w/ USB hub is a nice touch for people who use their laptop as a desktop with an external kb/m.
    - the battery slice is an awesome idea. I have the sneaking suspicion this will get ripped off by other laptop manufacturers, maybe even Apple.

From just looking at the pictures I had totally written off the Envy as a complete uMBP rip-off, but after watching the video I feel a little different about it. The styling is a rip of the overall shape, but HP have added some nice features. Also, up close the styling isn't that much of a rip either, especially considering that Sony used that type of keyboard before Apple.

...of course there's the whole OS thing, but I'm talking strictly about hardware.

17. nitromullet macrumors member

nitromullet

I actually had to run to BB for something else, and decided to the see if they had an Envy. They had the Envy 15, and after seeing it firsthand my opinion has changed on this laptop again.

First of all, it really looks/feels almost nothing like a uMBP in person...

-the top is matte
    -the top is patterned, a very HP thing to do. Probably too garish for my tastes (and most mac users). I don't necessarily count this as a good thing, but it really takes away from the uMBP rip-off factor in a big way.
    -it's really light for a 15" laptop IMO. I think this is the reason uMBP users think it feels cheapy because it doesn't have the weight of a uMBP. As to how durable it actually is, is anyone's guess.
    -the track pad is confusing to me as a uMBP users. It looks like it should function like the uMBP track pad, but it doesn't. It's basically a standard 2-button track pad with flush buttons. I kept expecting to be able to right-click with two fingers, but couldn't.
    -the shape is still very similar to uMBP though.

Overall, IMO it's not a nice as a uMBP, but it is definitely among the nicer laptops in general.

edit: it really is a shame that HP bought Voodoo... They actually had some really nice, clean looking designs without copying Apple at all. http://www.engadget.com/photos/voodoo-omen/853662/

18. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Except many other companies like Dell, and Lenovo have had the option of the battery slice on models older than the Envy. I really with more companies use this, as it is a very good idea. Think about the current MBP with the option of a slice to give it like 14-16 hours of battery life. That like going a whole school day with out needing a charge.

I did read the 13in Envy has a brighter and better screen that MBP, paired with a higher res screen and a dedicated gpu in the ATI 4330. That seems a step in the right direction in my book.

19. nitromullet macrumors member

nitromullet

I wasn't aware that the slice was not a new idea. Guess I was right about it being copied though. :)

20. tflournoy95 macrumors 6502

me too lol. never heard of it before.