HP EX470 500 GB MediaSmart Home Server Or Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by asanjuan, Jul 4, 2008.

1. asanjuan macrumors newbie

Hey, just recently got my macbook pro and I was debating on getting time capsule to back up my mac. I now have come across a great deal to pick up an HP EX470 MediaSmart home server for a great price. My question is would it be better to get time capsule or go with the server? Both have a 500 GB hard drive, but it says that the server requires at least XP Professional to access it remotely. Is it compatible with a mac? Can I use the HD, or is it a waste and just stick with the time capsule?
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

I might be able to help...

Have both here, the HP gets a lot more use... But then, we have windows clients here and a mac or two.

You must have a windows machine to setup the HP, either through VPC or bootcamp, or some windows installation.

The HP has a 500GB internal drive, and 3 more slots for 1TB+ each. As well as 4 USB 2.0 Ports and 1 external Port Multiplier eSata connection. Very well thought out. The ability to monitor and add / remove drives at will is extremely easy (from again, a windows client). Once it is setup, you can use a Mac to map to any of its shared folders. The backup script, seems to only pick up PC machines.

The Time Capsule of course is a router (N) as well as a 500 drive with a USB port. It does do back-ups nicely...

Email or post if you have specific questions :)