HP Ext. HD says read only, fix possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wordsmith27, Nov 24, 2011.

1. wordsmith27 macrumors member

I have an hp external hard drive that I used to backup my win 7 laptop but I left a lot of space and want to backup my mac problem is it says read only...is there a way to make it writable?

2. simsaladimbamba

It is probably using NTFS as file system, to check:
    Finder > select external HDD >> GET INFO >>> Format and Sharing & Permissions
    [​IMG]

PS: Time Machine does not work with NTFS formatted HDDs, maybe you can partition it though, but as I don't do it that often (using Windows and external HDDs formatted with NTFS), I don't know about that particular problem.
    Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

3. wordsmith27 thread starter macrumors member

thanks,

so for time machine I need to get an ext. HD that works for mac? I'll look into that as well.

4. simsaladimbamba

No need to get a special HDD, as every HDD can be formatted with every available file system. You just need to format it correctly, but as your HDD already is formatted via Windows, you would lose all data during another format, thus you could partition it, but as I never had to partition an NTFS formatted HDD for Time Machine use, I don't know the steps. Maybe the Advanced Search I pointed to or the following FAQ can help.
    Time Machine FAQ