Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LongLiveTheKing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
NO MAC FANBOIS!
I know that Leopard is "Sooo superior", but I'm hear to ask people if there is a major difference between The HDX with a 8800M GTS, or a macbook pro 2.4ghz.
Specs would be extremely close, but I've heard that macs seem to run faster for some reason. I'm not travelling a lot, so the size of the Dragon HDX is not an issue. Or, if somebody would be selling or know a place to get MBP's cheaper than apple refurbished, then by all means post the links.

B.T.W., I would be playing Crysis a lot, and would like a respectable 40 F.P.S., but I'd settle for little less.

bart rijksen

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
NO MAC FANBOIS!
I know that Leopard is "Sooo superior", but I'm hear to ask people if there is a major difference between The HDX with a 8800M GTS, or a macbook pro 2.4ghz.
Specs would be extremely close, but I've heard that macs seem to run faster for some reason. I'm not travelling a lot, so the size of the Dragon HDX is not an issue. Or, if somebody would be selling or know a place to get MBP's cheaper than apple refurbished, then by all means post the links.

B.T.W., I would be playing Crysis a lot, and would like a respectable 40 F.P.S., but I'd settle for little less.

I have a mbp, the specs are in my sig, and i have vista home premium installed. When i play crysis, i have only 2 settings on low, shaders and shadows, the rest is all on high, and i get an average of about 35+ fps.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
NO MAC FANBOIS!

So. You plan to game with this laptop? That will likely mean you'll need Windows (since games for Mac are few and far between). Well, the 8800M GTS beats the snot out of a 8600M GT. We're talking somewhere in the range of twice the performance. I personally would stick with the lower resolution screen on the HDX, since the higher the resolution, the lower the performance, and at 20.1" and 1680x1050, that's high enough IMO at that size. Yes, you can get a higher resolution, but if you play any newer games that are more graphically demanding, you'll need to lower the resolution, and on LCDs, it looks horrible.

There is nothing about a Mac that makes it faster in Windows. It's the same hardware (CPU, video card, memory) that you'll find in a Windows based laptop, and since size isn't an issue for you, I personally wouldn't get a Mac in your shoes, since what's the point, unless you just want Mac OS X, which if you're gaming, you probably will have very little use for. When it comes to gaming, as I'm sure you know, you want the best hardware you can afford, and if you get a Mac, you're really going to end up paying more for less gaming performance.

You say you'll be playing Crysis. You'll have a much easier time playing crysis with the 8800M GTS than with a 8600M GT (you will need to turn down more settings with an 8600M GT, possibly even the resolution, depending on how much you're willing to lower setting wise).

bart rijksen

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2008
By the way, if you won't travel much, why don't you get a desktop? you'll get much better performance.

LongLiveTheKing

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
thank you for answering my question, all.
Unfortunately, I like having at least a *Slightly* portable system, just to be able to go outside.
I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the "Dragon" laptop, but I'm going to micro center to see the macs. I really wish I could just compare them side by side, but alas there is a steel cable holding them down, and they are across the store:(

Chrysaor

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Don't get either of them.
I used the HDX, it is _VERY_ heavy, and the power brick is like Xbox 360 brick, its heavy and huge. Single 8800M GTS is not that good.
MBP 17" doesn't even have a decent video card for a 17" notebook, I wouldn't even consider that as a desktop replacement.

If you want performance with "portability", get Dell XPS M1730 with SLI 8800M GTXs, you can't beat the graphics performance of that. It has Blu-Ray drive, backlit keyboard and even mini "gaming" LCD.

shmutheprophet

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2008
Don't get either of them.
I used the HDX, it is _VERY_ heavy, and the power brick is like Xbox 360 brick, its heavy and huge. Single 8800M GTS is not that good.
MBP 17" doesn't even have a decent video card for a 17" notebook, I wouldn't even consider that as a desktop replacement.

If you want performance with "portability", get Dell XPS M1730 with SLI 8800M GTXs, you can't beat the graphics performance of that. It has Blu-Ray drive, backlit keyboard and even mini "gaming" LCD.

The SLi 1730 starts @ $3,000, he's looking to spend around $1,900-2,000 it sounds like.

P.S. I can't comment on the HP. But my 2.4 MPB plays TF2 and CoD4 fine on high settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.