HP iMac Clone...so much Apple envy.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jblongz, Oct 16, 2015.

1. jblongz macrumors member

2. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

3. fob macrumors member

fob

4. chscag macrumors 68000

LOL, none of them run OS X. ;)

5. jblongz thread starter macrumors member

What is going on with these huge companies? Do we have enough talented design graduates on earth?

6. qualo macrumors newbie

Couldn't be a more blatant rip off for the design. Nice price though for a family PC and the audio seems interesting. Surely Apple should be able to sue them for copying the design so closely. HP have made it look pretty bad though. They have had the Slate out for a few years so maybe they will get away with it legally because of that.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

HP does seem to have a long history of copying Apple's design.

I looked up the Core i7-4785T that the computer uses and that's Haswell so, I'd be avoiding this machine personally.

8. Serban Suspended

clone yes, but no dGPU, no 32 gb ram, no 1T SSD...wtf is this?
    the only better feature than the imac i think, is the
    Bang & Olufsen Play audio

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The exact same comments can be said for the 21" iMac. No dGPU, can only upgrade (through apple) to 16GB, the largest SSD you can configure the mac for is 512gb.

Now the chipset in the latest iMac is Broadwell, so at least we have that going for us.

10. Serban Suspended

yes, at least you can config 16 gb ram and thats ok for a machine that you hold for 3-4 years..that iGpu is better than Hp, we have 4k vs FullHd, no SSD options vs 256 or 512SSD and you have El capitan+Windows 10 vs only windows10
    The ports are more unreachable than imac's ,2 usb 3 2 usb 2...while imac has 4 usb 3.0 that can support 2.0

Like i said the only better things the touch screen for those who love that on a desktop, the sound i guess is better, and for a budget the lower price

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Im all;honesty I think 8GB is fine for most people for now and the future. Its only if you run lots of VMs, or pro apps will the extra ram come in handy.

Overall I do like the iMac design, but I seriously question if the current setup fits my needs the best. I think I may go the refurb route to save some money.

12. mejsric macrumors 6502a

mejsric

Probably they are all working on Apple.

13. cynics macrumors G4

Is that white or silver? If nothing else I like the look of that HP.

14. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Well, these guys have to buy from sub-contracted generic guys in China. The razor thin margins mean that they could probably only afford the sub-contractors who went dumpster diving around discarded tooling from Apple's subcontractors.

15. bmodi macrumors member

bmodi

What i do not get is touch screen on a desktop pc. The workflow is horrible to move your hand from the trackpad/mouse to the screen.....senseless, tried it on my brothers pc.....

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My wife loves the idea of a touch screen on a desktop. She used one for work for years. Its not that you completely abandon the mouse but it allows another way to use the computer.

I have to admit that I'm not sold on it myself but at her firm all the staff have it (though I don't know outside of her how they like or hate it).