Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2006
PA
Hey Guys. Is it just me or a while ago did HP market iPods? I am so curious about this as I was just thinking about how they got permission from Apple. How did this all work out?

Kevin

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
dextertangocci said:
I still don't get it:eek:
HP was allowed to brand some iPods w/ their logo (as listed on that wiki page). These HP-branded iPods were then sold in more retail areas and apparently, made up 5% of Apple's iPod sales.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
At my local Staples BD, they still had a hPod mini. IT was white, pretty much a iPod mini with HP branding. I still can't believe they have one for sale though.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
imacintel said:
At my local Staples BD, they still had a hPod mini. IT was white, pretty much a iPod mini with HP branding. I still can't believe they have one for sale though.

but none of the minis were white. :confused: :eek:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
imacintel said:
:rolleyes:

WHA??

The floor model hPod Mini was...

yeah the 1st gen iPod Minis came in Green, Gold, Blue, Pink, and Silver, the second gen came in Green, Blue, Pink, and Silver.

so i don't know what you saw... :rolleyes:

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
imacintel said:
:rolleyes:

WHA??

The floor model hPod Mini was...

Bloody Staples, always giving away upcoming apple products. they're done with the nano, and going back to the mini. And to smooth the transition a bit, they're including a white one. I'd go buy it, its pre-release. you'd get a good few bucks on ebay.

alert! the preceding was sarcastic

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
the whole HP iPod thing was just kinda weird IMO. It was the exact same iPods, made in the same factory, just with an HP logo and a different box.
I really don't understand why apple did, nor why HP bombed with it.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
dornoforpyros said:
the whole HP iPod thing was just kinda weird IMO. It was the exact same iPods, made in the same factory, just with an HP logo and a different box.

It wasnt HP fault on bombing it. The blame falls on apple. Apple started releasing new better iPods for the same price and then not keep HP iPods on the older models and not allowing them to move up to the new ones for a while. HP did not like that at all and start demanding rightfully so to be allowing to see the newest ones.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
dornoforpyros said:

Because it bundled iTunes on a large number of consumer-level PCs and pushed the iPod into more retail outlets. To sell an HP iPod, I don't think a shop had to be Apple-certified, though I could be mistaken on that. HP did it because they received a small slice of the explosive iPod pie.

In the end, Apple gained far more from the deal than vice versa. That, combined with being steadfastly denied updates to the iPod line, is part of the reason why HP stopped shipping them. Of course, I'm sure the politics were far more nuanced than that, but I believe that's the deal in a nutshell.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
A lot of things happened and the deal with iPod ended after Carly Fiorina left HP.

Still, I'm happy with mine since I got a 10 % discount on a 40 GB monochrome model and Apple never discounts any of them, though they have their one night sales.

Even HP's tech support were very good with supplying an answer to a problem I was having, though they'd probably had a problem with helping me since I had reformatted to HFS+ and used it with a Mac.

imacintel

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2006
PlaceofDis said:
yeah the 1st gen iPod Minis came in Green, Gold, Blue, Pink, and Silver, the second gen came in Green, Blue, Pink, and Silver.

so i don't know what you saw... :rolleyes:

It mus of been silver. I am probably color blind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.