HP K60 not printing using Gutenprint

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brainwave89, Feb 29, 2008.

1. brainwave89 macrumors 6502

After noticing that HP does not support my USB connected OfficeJet K60 All-in-one for my Leopard iMac, I installed Gutenprint 5.0.2.
    I also tried Gutenprint 5.1.6 with the same results.
    The install went smoothly but when I tried to print nothing happened. There are no problems on my end when printing.
    Any suggestions on what I can so I can print to my K60?

Thank you for looking.

2. drgrafix macrumors regular

You may be going through what I just did. I have a HP DeskJet 1220c and first I tried to get it to work with my LinkSys print server using the parallel connection and gutenprint. The install looked/sounded great and I can print a test page from the print server's utility, but could never print anything like an email or other document.

So I switched over to a USB right to the back of the iMac. I went to HPs web site and they won't allow you to download drivers as they insist that the drivers are already in the OS. Someone responded with a link to a driver page and I downloaded what appeared to be the right driver. I installed and removed the gutenprint driver, but the pop-up printer dialogue I get now is nothing like the one I get with Windows XP. It's like a junior league version, something truly less than basic. In Windows, I'm given choices for dozens of different types and sizes of print paper, different quality levels, bleed options, registration marks, and all sorts of print information. This driver gets it to print, but rather poorly and it looks like its at lower resolution as well.

I'm going to try and get some tech help from HP, but they will probably moan about the printer being out of warranty and therefore it'll cost me $75 a session to get help. I don't know if anyone here or in other forums have had similar problems, but its worth bumping your post a few times.

3. Frank Rudi macrumors newbie

HP printers

Try this:
    on the installations DVD/CD (in my case Mac OS X install Disc 1) scroll down to "Optional Installs.mpkg", open it,
    follow the menu until you see printerdriver
    . there you select HP in the submenu and install it.
    after this it should be (hopely) possible to print.

My config: mac mini 1.83GHz, 512 MB ; Mac OS X 10.4.11
    I had some troubles to get an HP Color Laser Jet 1600 to run,
    some advices led me to install 3 prg parts and 1 thiny prg onto the desktop (for download somthing to the printer) everytime after switching on.
    Others said i should give the printer back to the shop.
    It didn't work out really fine, until i uninstalled this things and i did this installation (see above) following the advice of a friend with much more experience. so may be you have a chance get it running this way.