Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
HP Shopping

Optimized for performance and mobility, these special-edition notebook PCs feature a new processor from AMD, a unique design bearing the LIVESTRONG™ message, and Lance Armstrong's autograph as a tribute to his inspirational fight against cancer and to the 10 million people living with cancer. For every special edition notebook PC purchased, the Lance Armstrong Foundation (LAF) will receive $50 to help support their mission through public health, advocacy, cancer research, and education.

Its good that money is going to the LAF but this sure is an interesting way of raising money. It seems weird that you would buy a computer that has "LIVE STRONG" written across the back of it.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
I'd like one that said LIVE WRONG on it, since it's a pc.

Type Livewrong into eBay, it's quite funny :D

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
i saw one at sam's recently. it actually looks decent, for a pc ;) although the screen ain't all that good. i think it's a good way to raise money.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Don't know how many techites will purchase this laptop, but it is definately an innovative way to raise money...

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Anybody else see an irony that they're raising money for a testicular cancer charity by endorsing laptop heaters with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi radio wave transmitters built in?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
mpw said:
Anybody else see an irony that they're raising money for a testicular cancer charity by endorsing laptop heaters with Bluetooth and Wi-Fi radio wave transmitters built in?
just don't use it on your lap ;)

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
mpw said:

Ya, that is kinda ironic! :D

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
mpw said:

I HAVE A SOLUTION TO THAT PROBLEM!
(which isn't exactly a proven issue)

Build the Bottoms and maybe even the sides of laptops out of lead. So you're 15" widescreen laptop might way 15lbs instead of 7lbs but wouldn't you rather be safe than sorry?

Or if you work in a hospital or medical office with X-Rays go down to the Radiology Dept. and borrow a lead apron.

Oh yea- and after the lead layer of your laptop there is a plastic layer to prevent lead poisoning- just incase you, a small child, or an animal decides to like your laptop.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
EJBasile said:
I HAVE A SOLUTION TO THAT PROBLEM!
(which isn't exactly a proven issue)

Build the Bottoms and maybe even the sides of laptops out of lead. So you're 15" widescreen laptop might way 15lbs instead of 7lbs but wouldn't you rather be safe than sorry?

EJBasile, would this not defeat the whole purpose of having a 'Book? (it being lightweight) ;)
But if you are truly concerned, then this is the only way to go.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
dmw007 said:
EJBasile, would this not defeat the whole purpose of having a 'Book? (it being lightweight) ;)
But if you are truly concerned, then this is the only way to go.

I was only kidding.

Antennas give off radiation but no one really knows if it is harmful. There really is no proof that it does cause cancer.

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
i'm not sure if all of hp's 14" widescreen laptops are this way, i'm assuming, but the battery on this thing sticks out a good inch and half or so out the back. its a nice laptop, but the battery is HUGE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.