HP Laptop with 24 Hour Battery

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by cosmokanga2, Sep 10, 2008.

1. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

While on BBC I came accross an article about a HP Laptop, that when configured properly, can run for 24 hours. Link

Now, we have to wait to see if Apple can beat it. Because 24 hours of battery life, wow.

2. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

24 hours worth of battery life is quite impressive! :eek: :)

I wonder just how much that battery costs... ;)

3. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I am not sure, looks to be fairly lightweight from the leaked photograph I was able to find online... ;) :D :cool:

Attached Files:

5. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

My friend's HP's have always gotten way better battery life then what I get. Granted their battery is usually a little thicken then the machine, but some people would rather have that much life.

Shouldn't there be some breakthrough battery technologies now that give us insane hours?

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I don't believe it'll last that long. Not at all.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I fully agree with you iJon. You would think that battery technology would be a little more advance than it currently is for both laptops and cars (hybrids). :)

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Looks like the vibrator companies need to have a long 24 hour session with the women at HP.

10. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I call fake since it wasn't taken in an elevator.

11. a456 macrumors 6502a

a456

The laptop comes out in October. Apple announce new laptops in October - let's hope they've got their hands on the same tech.

12. Buttercookie macrumors member

24 hour battery, I'll believe it when I actually see one lasting that long.

13. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Just like that Lenovo X300 MBA killer had 10 hours battery life :rolleyes:

(When in fact it had about 3)

14. David G. macrumors 6502a

But that's only for Apple stuff.:D

15. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Assuming the 2.1Kg starting weight is with the 4-cell battery, my guess is that it'll weigh just a little more than the MBP (<>100g) in the 24-hour config.

They clearly say how it can be achieved. Not 10, but 7-8 usable hours in real life over the course of a day - just like "5 hours of wireless productivity" actually means less than 4 usable hours in real life over the course of a day. I suppose that would fly over the head of a group of users who have only the ability to get their heads around one type of battery (or none) being available for their machine. In the case of the X300, a ~200g weight penalty over the Air gets you basically double the real-life runtime - and with the Sony TZ, the weight penalty needed to get a drive, built-in 3G, and well over double the real-life runtime over the Air is about a heaped spoonful of sugar.

16. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

"Properly configured" is subjective. I want to see real time test and see how long it last. Word process with iTunes running in the back ground. Those results will be more accurate. :D

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know what either of you are going on about.

Look here or here.

With the bigger 6-cell battery, the X300 had a battery life quoted at 6.5 hours, not 10 hours. However, through realistic usage at 47% screen brightness (7 out of 15 bars) and such, notebookreview.com could get 3h 30m of battery life. It's not bad, but not anywhere close to 6.5 hours. You can only get 6h 30m of battery life with the LCD on minimum brightness (1 out of 15 bars) and if you did NOT touch the machine at all, not even for typing. In that case, my MacBook would have a 5 hour battery life (when I first bought it), but we all know that in reality, you'd only be able to get 4 hours from a new MB.

With the MBA, they could get 4h 20m of battery life at 25% screen brightness. At half screen brightness, it'd be something like 4 hours.

They're both around the same in this regard.

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The 10-hour projected runtime is with the 6-cell battery plus the 3-cell slice, which means the aforementioned ~200g weight penalty over the Air.

I see I'm correct in the 'going over the heads'.