HP Laser Jet 1020

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjs08, Nov 4, 2007.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Has any one used an HP LaserJet 1020 with Leopard??

When I had my old Ti Powerbook, I used the drivers for a 1022 model and it worked great. Got a MacBook Pro last November and those drivers didn't work. Never could get it to work.

I was wondering if anyone has tried to get the 1020 to work with Leopard using any specific drivers??

Thanks.

Frank

2. gogojuice macrumors member

Yep..

Works fine on macpro and leo..

No problems... hook er up :)

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I downloaded the drivers for the 1022 laser jet by HP. Tried to print, had to install the printer, but the drivers could not be found. Strange. Any thoughts.

Frank

4. mrhockey123 macrumors regular

I had the exact same problem. Firstly, it could be your driver itself. Secondly, the stupid HP install puts the drivers in the wrong place.

The real trick is you need to go to lib/printers/hp/laserjet/1020 and copy the files into the main Laserjet folder.
    When they're in the 1020 folder, OSX doesn't see them and ignores them.

I will post the instructions that I got from a helpful forum (through googling). I'm sorry that I can't acknowledge the source as I don't have it. I remain grateful to those who posted it originally.

EDIT: I tried the link and it seems to work when it feels like it. I did download the file, but then three other times it said it doesn't exist.
    If that happens, as I said, PM me your email and I'll forward you the file.

In my experience, step 10.b (the one I added) was the most crucial. WHen I installed last time, I didn't do all the booting / rebooting I just made sure those other files weren't around.

I hope the driver download link works. If it doesn't, PM me and I will email you the driver.

5. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely give that a try. I'll let you know.

Frank

6. nan-tze macrumors newbie

still stuck

hi, i tried downloading the driver from mrhockey123 but the link doesn't work. other ideas? i have a new iMac with Leopard and hope to use it with my hp 1020 laserjet

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, I have a 1020, and it is NOT working with OSX, at least not with Tiger.

the above mentioned complicated procedure ( "just work", anyone?) have 50/50 chance, I followed that, and no luck.

8. qpqp macrumors newbie

hi i went through all the tips about installing HP 1020 on leopard, but no success.

while i try to install drivers, on the third steps after clicked "agreed" on it tells me "there is already new version of volume exist on this main volume, could not install HP laser jet 1020 series". so i went all the folders possible (under lib/printers/, lib/receipts, printer setup, color sync, etc) to delete. then i rebooted mac. try to install again, but still tells me the same thing. please help me what could it be missing i tried most of the possibities i can think of...:(

9. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>try to install again, but still tells me the same thing. please help me what could it be missing i tried most of the possibities i can think of...<<

Sounds just like me. Guess that printer isn't meant to work with a Mac!!

Frank

10. qpqp macrumors newbie

i clean installed os. and used old version of printer driver, then finally recognized ****!

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

!!! I admire you!!:D

12. suryabrata macrumors newbie

Leopard with HP Lj 1020

Hi I managed to install my 1020 with the help of the this post, thanks to "csmoll"
    (I used the old driver)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you have already attempted an install of some sort, take these steps before proceeding:
    Unplug the USB cable from the computer.
    Navigate to /Library/Receipts
    Search for any .pkg files that have anything to do with 1020 or 1022.
    Delete the files.
    Navigate to /Library/Printers/hp/laserjet.
    Delete the 1020Series folder.
    Shut down (This might seem unnecessary, but it won't hurt anything and gives us a "fresh" state to work off of.)

Proceed only if you have performed the steps above, or have not yet attempted any install of drivers:
    Download the old driver.
    Run the installer, even though it says 1022.
    Shut down completely, and connect the USB cable to the computer and printer.
    Restart the system.
    Open the Printer Setup Utility and add the printer. The driver should come up right away. (If, at this point it does not, keep retrying the steps. It took me a little trial and error to even get this far. Oh, and make sure to breathe.)
    Print a test page. Take a note in the "Copies & Pages" drop list that some of the options are crossed out. If you want to remedy this, keep reading..
    Sit back and smile, laugh, cheer, give a friend/partner a hug.. it worked!

If you want to use the latest driver, it works perfectly and enables a few options like resolution control, paper type and density.
    Download the new driver and mount the .dmg
    Right click on hp LaserJet 1020 Series.pkg and choose "Show Package Contents."
    Navigate to Contents and double click Archive.pax.gz. A folder should now be on your desktop called "Library."
    Open the new "Library" folder and navigate through Printers > hp > laserjet. Drag "1020Series" to your desktop and rename it "New"
    Now navigate to /Library/Printers/hp/laserjet and drag the existing "1020Series" folder to your desktop, and rename it "Old"
    Drag the "New" folder in to the laserjet folder, and rename it "1020Series"
    Print a test page. Note in "Copies & Pages" that Paper, Print Quality and Print Options are now enabled.
    Repeat step 7 from before.

I registered just to share my success with everyone. If you are still having trouble come over to my website at csmoll.com and send me a message.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    All credit to this guys (csmol and whoever sorted this in macosxhints before)

13. suryabrata macrumors newbie

sorry, i realised that the hyperlink didn't come, here is the original link with the hyperlinks for the driver.

http://forums.macosxhints.com/showpost.php?p=410314&postcount=189

goodluck

14. MBAir macrumors member

Anyone managed to get the 1020 to work with Time Capsule?

Also, any recommendations for a printer that works properly with the TC?

Cheers.

15. downside30 macrumors newbie

hp laserjet 1020 driver problems

is it possible to get this driver to show on the install list over a wireless connection through a network? cant get it to work using a new mac