HP LaserJet 1000 and Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by g-boac, Dec 31, 2007.

1. g-boac macrumors 6502

Has anybody installed an HP LaserJet 1000? I'm trying to do so onto an iMac, but not having any luck.

Been to the HP website and searched for drivers; they only show Windows drivers available for download. I downloaded some sort of generic program from HP, "HP LaserJet for Mac v5.5.2". It ran and installed some sort of stuff onto my Mac, and the Mac physically recognizes and identifies the LaserJet 1000 by name when I am in >System Preferences >Print and Fax > + ["add printers"], but the "Print Using" dialog box just reads "Please select a driver or printer model".

Auto Select does not work, and if I search through the list of built-in printers in Leopard (...>Print Using: >"Select a driver to use..."), a bunch of HP LaserJet models are listed, starting with the 1010 and incrementing upward. But no HP 1000.

Anybody successfully installed or using the HP LJ 1000?

thanks!
    Mark

2. ingenious macrumors 68000

ingenious

Have you tried downloading updated GutenPrint drivers? It's an open-source driver package that might include what you're looking for.

link.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Have you actually tried the 1010 driver? As I recall there was little difference between that and the 1000, and you may find that it works just fine - certainly in the past I've managed to get older HP lasers running by just picking the closest driver in terms of spec and age.

4. g-boac thread starter macrumors 6502

Good suggestion; I actually did, but don't think I got good results -- lots of error messages, and the print preview screen was showing the page scaled too large and off-center (despite the "scale to fit paper" box being checked. I figured this was a case of close, but not close enough.

5. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Three questions:

• What Operating System are you using?
    • How is your LaserJet 1000 connected directly to your Mac, Shared from Windows, or on a Print Server?
    • What software have you installed so far to correct the problem?

I'm currently using an HP 1100a attached directly to my USB HUB using a USB->PARALLEL and a 36-pin Centronics cable to a mini-Centronics 36-pin cable.

Using Leopard, it automatically chose a printer driver for me, and everything worked automatically. Prior to that, I've had all sorts of issues in Tiger figuring out the right one to use.

~ CB

6. aihafan macrumors newbie

7. BenYVR macrumors newbie

Any new hints?

I tried the solutions posted here but all of the post are 2 years old and outdated.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

How are the Linux Printing CUPS drivers outdated?

9. BenYVR macrumors newbie

Page not found.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The Linux Foundation's OpenPrinting project didn't disappear from the face of the Earth. The Project changed the path of its web page dedicated to the HP LaserJet 1000.

11. BenYVR macrumors newbie

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anybody but I tried their solution and it's not working for me so I thought that since the posts here were quite dated that the solution was no longer working.

12. psxguru macrumors 6502a

I've got a Laserjet 1100A (connected on my network via a HP Jetdirect box), the driver I've used since Tiger is the HP Laserjet 4L Gimp driver since the 1100 is 4L compatible.

I'm on Snow Leopard now and the driver description reads 'HP LaserJet 4L - Gimp-Print v5.0.0-beta2' which works fine for me. Gutenprint is supposed to have support for the 1100 but the current driver works fine for me so I've not bothered with it.