Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebassoonist

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 25, 2007
Davis, CA
Howdy! I got a new MBP this week and Leopard and install went fine. :) Anyway, now I am trying to hook up my old printer (an HP Laserjet 1020). I saw on other sites that you could do this with the 1022 Driver - which is a pack for the whole 1020 series. It worked for people on the site, but, of course, they were running Tiger (or earlier). I wondered if anyone has tried doing this with Leopard and if you have any tips for doing this that would be great. Oh, and I know the easiest way to take care of this is just to buy a new printer :D... but I really don't have the money right now.

Thanks in advance!

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Howdy! I got a new MBP this week and Leopard and install went fine. :) Anyway, now I am trying to hook up my old printer (an HP Laserjet 1020). I saw on other sites that you could do this with the 1022 Driver - which is a pack for the whole 1020 series. It worked for people on the site, but, of course, they were running Tiger (or earlier). I wondered if anyone has tried doing this with Leopard and if you have any tips for doing this that would be great. Oh, and I know the easiest way to take care of this is just to buy a new printer :D... but I really don't have the money right now.

Thanks in advance!

I don't have that printer, and I don't have Leopard... so take this for whatever it's worth. I've had fairly good success getting HP printers to work on non-identical HP drivers. For instance, a networked LaserJet 1100 prints great with LaserJet 6 drivers; IDK why, but it does.

If you are asking pre-purchase, I'd think there would almost certainly be a way to print to your 1020. If you're trying to set it up, give some alternative HP drivers a whirl.

nintendew

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2007
After I installed the driver, the Leopard printer setup just found it automatically. It did so for both my iMac and PowerBook.

appleguru1

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2003

Ah! This one works in leopard with the 1020.. the newer 1022 driver from hp's website does NOT.

If you, like me, installed HP's 'newer' driver and can't get it to recognize the driver for your 1020, delete the /Library/Printers/hp/laserjet/1020Series/ folder and the /Library/Receipts/hp LaserJet 1022 Series.pkg receipt and then you can install the package above.

qpqp

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008
hi i went through most of the tips about installing HP 1020 driver on leopard, but no success...:(

while i try to install drivers, on the third steps right after clicked "agreed" button on, it tells me "there is already new version of volume exist on this main volume, failed to install HP laser jet 1020 series". went back to all the folders possible to delete (under lib/printers/, lib/receipts, printer setup, color sync, etc). then rebooted. try to install it or different one again, but still popes up the the same thing warning. please help me what could it be missing i tried most of the possibilities i can think of...:(

bselves

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2008
:(
I'm having the same problem as the above...it says it already exists. Please...what do we do?

icyremy

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2008
follow appleguru1's instruction. It works!

Dear Mr. Appleguru1
I followed your advice by deleting the driver softwares that I downloaded from HP website-1022. I deleted both at the library-printer and library-receipts.
Then I download a new software from your recommended url.http://www.narc.ca/1601-LJ_1022_Series_OSX.dmg
Then I restarted my Imac-Leopard 10.5.
Then I add the printer for HP Laserjet 1020.
Then it works.
Now I can use my old HP Laserjet 1020 with my recently purchased(today) Imac 2.0 GHZ with OS x 10.5 Leopard, Thanks to you.
Again thank you very much Mr. Appleguru1.
I almost gave up solving this problem and was going to buy a new printer that is working with Leopard.
Now I can use this old printer for a while.
Sincerely, Ekachai from Bangkok Thailand

AOH

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2008
HP LaserJet 1020 works on Mac Leopard

Thank you, Mr. Appleguru1 and icyremy.

I followed all your instructions to delete all the driver sw I downloaded and installed previously for 1022; downloaded the driver as instructed; installed and restarted the Mac; and then added the 1020 printer. I am very happy it works now.

Thank you very much!

Sincerely;

AOH

yogipatel

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2008
After having to go through this again after rebuilding my laptop, I decided to just package the right files together and create a quick installer. This installer also enables the various printer options (print quality, paper, etc.)

Here it is: http://yogipatel.net/static/HP_Laserjet_1020_Leopard_Driver.dmg

Once installed, plug in the printer, go to Printer Setup, and select the printer from the list. The driver should be automatically detected as a "HP LaserJet 1020". I've tested it with all versions of Leopard on intel machines, and seems to work fairly well.

noahli

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
Just not working

I've been trying the fixes suggested here for seven months, since I got my Leopard MacBook Pro and a 1020. They never work to solve my main problem: If I send a file to the queue before the previous file is done printing, the queue hangs up after the first file. The first file gets printed, but it never leaves the queue, and I have to manually delete it, then turn off the printer, restart it and then tell the printer to resume. This happens EVERY time there is more than one file in the queue. Anyone else have this problem? Again, none of the driver fixes suggested here have helped.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
FINALLY A SIMPLE FIX TO GET OUR HP 1020's WORKING IN OSX

After having to go through this again after rebuilding my laptop, I decided to just package the right files together and create a quick installer. This installer also enables the various printer options (print quality, paper, etc.)

Once installed, plug in the printer, go to Printer Setup, and select the printer from the list. The driver should be automatically detected as a "HP LaserJet 1020". I've tested it with all versions of Leopard on intel machines, and seems to work fairly well.

You are so awesome for doing this, I am so grateful, downloaded your script and it works like a charm, TO ALL THE MAC FAITHFUL, THIS WORKS!

stephengnb

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008

the laserjet 1020 that my family has is connected to a windows xp desktop pc... is it possible to connect to it over the network... i can print off that printer using other pcs...

DouweS

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2008
I have the same question as Stephen. When I install the HP Laserjet 1020 Series driver (the one for Leopard), then go to the Printers-pannel, and select my HP Laserjet 1022, which is connected via the network, I can choose the drivers, but Laserjet 102x isn't there... When I select PostScript-printer, it doesn't work...

macdary

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2008
Need to print as shared printer

I have the same problem. A 1020 connect to a WinBox with XP. I can print via USB connected to my mac but I can't to add as shared printer coz drivers d not appear in the configuration dialog box.
Any suggestions? :eek:

qntmfred

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2008

worked great for me too on my new macbook pro. thanks!

naman34

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
Still some problem

I have the printer HP laserjet 1020 plus.... any help?
also the printer is at an office, and I dont go there so often, My uncle just bought an imac, and i'm actually trying to solve this problem for him as it is his first mac. I downloaded all the drivers.. tried them all one by one, but everytime I go to the printers pane in system preferences, and try to select the driver for a printer, hp laserjet 1020 and 1022 are not part of the list... please help, can I select other and select a file on the hd as the driver?
Also I want to mention that there was a cd with the printer and it had a package called 1020 series, and that was the first thing we installed on the imac, when trying to make the printer work, but no use. Please help as he doesnt want to buy a new printer right now.

Bibliophile

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2009
HP Laser Jet 1020 with Snow Leopard

I successfully got my HP Laser Jet 1020 operating on Leopard by using the excellent information on this thread.

Does anyone know if the driver will still work when upgrading to Snow Leopard?

Thanks for any thoughts along this line.

AMRivlin

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2006
Can anyone repost this Driver

The host of the file seems to be down.
"http://www.narc.ca/1601-LJ_1022_Series_OSX.dmg" a

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.