HP Laserjet 1022 Printer on Leopard - no "Printer Options"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by firesinis, Jan 4, 2008.

1. firesinis macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

I just got an HP Laserjet 1022 printer. I plugged it in and Leopard detected it right away.

Although the printer does print, the problem is that aside from choosing the paper size and one or two-sided printing, I can't seem to be able to modify any other important printing settings - such as print with draft quality, printing resolution (600 vs 1200 dpi) and print more than one page per sheet. All those settings ARE available when I print through XP from inside VMWare Fusion, so I know that the printer offers them.

I even tried to connect to CUPS control panel but there too I can choose only paper size and one or two-sided printing.

Since this model is officially compatible with OS X, I think it's silly not to be able to tweak those printing options.

HP does offer a driver download for OS X in their site, but the version listed there is 1.2 as opposed to the newer version 1.3.0501 that came with Leopard, so I thought it wouldn't be a good idea to try to install the driver HP offers.

I'm running 10.5.1 on an Aluminum iMac 20''.

If someone can help with that, I'd appreciate.

2. jmmason macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem with an HP Photosmart 3310 All-in-one. When I print, the print dialogue drop-down offers me several configuration panels (e.g., layout and paper handling), but there is a menu separator bar and below that are things like Paper Type / Quality (which is where I can choose between color and bw printing, for example), but if I click on those options from the drop down, they don't display -- the option panel (where the checkboxes etc. normally appear) is just blank gray.

I've started searching various forums, but this is the first mention I've heard of something similar for HP printers under Leopard.

3. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

4. firesinis thread starter macrumors newbie

You may think it's silly, but in my case the settings were there all the time, only I didn't figure out how to access them. Maybe I was mislead by the fact that the first place I looked for the settings was in CUPS control panel, and they are NOT accessible from there, and I probably assumed they simply weren't accessible from anywhere else.

Turned out that I just had to open the Print Dialogue from any application, click the down arrow at the right of the printer's name, and then in the expanded dialogue click the drop down menu that initially shows the name of the application from where I'm printing. In that menu, like jmmason said, I can access other options such as Print Quality etc, and yes, they work for me.

5. jmmason macrumors newbie

Thanks...but unfortunately I've already done this. (The HP Q&A support page about Leopard still says the software isn't available, "check back soon", but like you I found the 10.5 version on the page above.)

I had installed the updated HP software, and even re-installed it, but the problem is there. Unlike firesinis who started this thread, I am clicking on the drop down menu in the expanded Print dialogue box, and I get some choices of config panels (those displayed "above the line" in the drop down box), but anything listed "below the line", like Paper Type / Quality (which is where color vs. bw printing is controlled for example) won't show when I click.

I guess it's time to contact HP support -- I always try users first because they seem better informed than HP support....

6. firesinis thread starter macrumors newbie

It probably won't solve anything right now, but have you seen the following thread?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1212884&tstart=0#5724143

It's an HP Guy. He basically says the drivers on Leopard DVD are the latest, and they are gradually being updated to better support Leopard. He even points to updates to some models that already came out. Unfortunately, I couldn't find Photosmart C3310 among them. But you could ask the guy when it's coming out.