HP Laserjet 2550 OSX 10.5 Printing Issues (postscript-related?)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gladapple, Feb 22, 2010.

1. gladapple macrumors newbie

I work in a student computer lab where large files, such as unflattened Photoshop and Illustrator files (Creative Suite 3), are sent to the printer fairly often. We’re having big issues with the machine hanging, spooling up for long periods of time, or even spitting out trash, especially after two or more of these jobs has been sent.

An unflattened PSD file might hang for over an hour before getting around to printing. Even a flattened or condensed file hangs longer than it should, especially if printed several times. Then normal files coming afterwards have trouble printing. We often get here an error message that says “No %%Bounding Box: comment in header!" Restarting the printer always seems to clear out the congestion and start the process over, though.

We think it might be related to the postscript file, or PPD file, that comes with the HP drivers. We’re working on OSX 10.5 (Leopard, not Snow Leopard) which may or may not be an issue, and our printer drivers are upgraded to the latest version, which is 7.8.0.761. Our PPD file is version 4.3.1.094, which seems to be the latest file version this update will install. We aren’t going to be upgrading the labs to Snow Leopard any time soon, so that’s not an option.

Any ideas on what the problem is, or how we can fix it?

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

I don't have that printer to try this on...
    You should have an alternate driver called Generic PCL 5c CUPS/Gutenprint available on your computers - try that.

3. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Excellent printer, so far - except: In Firefox, just about every third print from Firefox and Firefox dies...

I too have had issues with large-ish Postscript files and have contemplating upgrading the memory. I haven't though because I don't print large PS files very often so it's not an issue. I did have it take nearly 5 minutes once to start printing a rather largish manual that I downloaded. I was surprised because the manual was only like 10-15ish pages and didn't have a lot of graphics but did have some vector line drawn schematics. I figured that the printer was having an issue digesting those.

It has a 384M memory max. Maybe trying the 'big memory' option might help. I heard somewhere that the postscript is different than the earlier printers. Something about it being 'emulated' or something... Maybe it's not true Adobe Postscript... Don't know. But so far, (knock on wood) it's been a solid printer, except for the driver issue and Firefox... (I'm sure it's Firefox. It also happens on my MBP. Odd, that is. Anyone else getting that?) We have a 2025dn and get the crashes on Firefox too... Our other printer and Firefox didn't crash and played well together, until the NIC board failed for big money. I just checked Kingston and they don't list the p2055. BOO!