HP Laserjet 4250 troubles

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MrFusion, Jun 18, 2008.

1. MrFusion macrumors 6502a

We got a new printer at work.
    It's a HP Laserjet 4250.
    I can ping the printer, I have installed the driver. But when trying to print, the only thing I get is "network host is busy. Trying again in 30 seconds". 1 hour later it is still saying that.

Any idea's?
    Thanks

2. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

That is usually the result of using the IPP or LPD protocol and not entering the right queue name. Try using the HP Jetdirect protocol.
    (also check that front panel "personality" is set to Auto, not PCL.

3. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alas, it didn't work.

Would changing the personality affect printer from windows computers? I do not want to get a visit from 40 angry colleagues. :)

Location also says "Location Unknown". Would that be a problem?

4. MrFusion thread starter macrumors 6502a

samba printer

Ok, I found out what the problem was. The printer was not configured to accept print orders through IP. It's now working. However for security reasons, they want me to use samba.
    In order to get the option for samba, I should hold the option key while clicking on "add" in printer setup utility. But this is not working anymore. I am on Tiger 10.4.11. Where is this option hiding now? Anyone knows?

5. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

Try clicking More Printers. If you want the advanced options, hold down Option key when clicking More Printers.

The default Mac driver for this printer is for postscript, but PCL for Windows. Auto lets both type print jobs be printed. If you can't change that, then you can use an alternate driver (a PCL driver). I think a Gimp-Print (now called Gutenprint) driver (which is PCL) for that model is included in OS X. I say "think" because I have updated my Gutenprint to the latest version and I know the 4250 is in that version. Here's where to get the latest version of Gutenprint:
    http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting/macosx