Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigcletus123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
I have an HP Laserjet 2100 (not the network version). I run my network thru a Time Machine, which is located next to the LJ. As my printer has only parallel port and Apple Talk, how can I connect this to my Time Machine (cheaply)??
I'm running an iMac with OSX 10.6.4.
Thanks

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
I have an HP Laserjet 2100 (not the network version). I run my network thru a Time Machine, which is located next to the LJ. As my printer has only parallel port and Apple Talk, how can I connect this to my Time Machine (cheaply)??
I'm running an iMac with OSX 10.6.4.
Thanks

Time Machine is software for backing up. I think you are referring to Time Capsule. I also believe by referring to AppleTalk you actually mean the LJ 2100 has an ethernet connection. You can still use your printer however you will need to connect it using the IP address. Here is a link to a site that shows how to do this, you will need to locate the printers IP address first, I'm sure the printer manual will provide instructions on how to do that.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10402240-263.html

bigcletus123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
yes, I meant Time Capsule...(senior moment). Since the 2100 doesn't have network capability at the present time would a HP network card for the 2100 be the cheapest/easiest way to make this work ??

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
yes, I meant Time Capsule...(senior moment). Since the 2100 doesn't have network capability at the present time would a HP network card for the 2100 be the cheapest/easiest way to make this work ??

If you can add a print server to it that probably would be the least expensive route. Another route would be if the printer has a USB connection you could connect the printer to the TC and print that way too. Last you could look into a network card for it however I don't know if that printer was upgradeable, it's a pretty old device (about 10 years old) so getting parts may be difficult and expensive. You may want to consider retiring it and getting a newer Laserjet with network abilities, they're not as expensive as they used to be and certainly a lot faster, more energy efficient and cheaper to print per page.

bigcletus123

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
yeah, it doesn't have USB, only parallel and AppleTalk. It has a port for a HP Jetdirect 600 card..but I was looking for an easier upgrade, i.e. parr to USB connector or Appletalk, tho I see Snow Leo has dropped that support. I'll see if I can find a Jetdirect that's cheaper than a new Laser..

Thanks

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
yeah, it doesn't have USB, only parallel and AppleTalk. It has a port for a HP Jetdirect 600 card..but I was looking for an easier upgrade, i.e. parr to USB connector or Appletalk, tho I see Snow Leo has dropped that support. I'll see if I can find a Jetdirect that's cheaper than a new Laser..

Thanks

Fair enough, look on Ebay you will find a number of them. I even see a new one bidding for about $12.00.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.