Hp, Macbook, or iMac...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bluemusic, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Bluemusic macrumors newbie

Bluemusic

I need help choosing a Mac. I used to really, really be a big Mac/Apple fan, but recently the passion has died down. I still would like a Mac though. I currently own a Hp laptop with Vista on it, so...I don't think I would need a Macbook. So Im asking your opinion on the iMac. Do you think that would be a good Mac to purchase? If you think the Mac mini is better then please explain. Finally, do all of you think Macs are better than PC's? And do you think that a Mac desktop is a wise choice....Thank-You.

Future Mac owner,
    Bluemusic

2. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

This is Macrumors, so I can say with pretty definite precision that we think Macs are better than PC's. Then again, if you can take an HP laptop, I'm impressed. They feel disgusting in my hands. :( The plastic they use on the keyboards is vile.

However, you said yourself you don't need the MacBook, and probably the iMac. Sort of answered your own question!

3. Bluemusic thread starter macrumors newbie

Bluemusic

The plastic on the keyboard is fine....im happy with my Hp. I just wanted to know if the iMac was a good Mac/computer. Or if the mac mini is any good...

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

While this is an Apple-oriented forum, you will find a few pro-Windows/PC people here. I prefer my MacBook to my old Compaq laptop but IMHO the real big difference is OSX. If you want to run OSX, you need to buy a Mac. The mini is good if you already have a screen, keyboard and mouse. Otherwise the iMac is better value. If you go the mini route, a Core Duo mini can be had in refurb for $429.

5. jarenado macrumors regular

jarenado

it really comes down to whether or not you have a nice monitor. I have a 37 in LCD I plan on putting an mini on and it can double as your dvd player. However, unless you have a nice monitor, and you have the other peripherals, I would go with the new iMac. They are absolutely gorgeous, and great working machines. Plus you get the iSight with the iMac, I personally get a great deal of use from mine. Do you like that HP that much, my friend has one and he cant stand it.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You asked a multi-faceted question, so answer accordingly.

1. Are Macs better as desktops or laptops? Hands down, Apple makes more competitve and stylish laptops. Now don't get me wrong, the iMac and Mini are still both great in design terms for desktops, but they have a few drawbacks. For example, the iMac and Mini both use laptop parts. Both of them are also a bit more than equally equipped PCs. However, the laptops are much better equipped and have excellent design. Compared to other laptops of similar power, the macbooks and macbook pros are lighter, thinner, and have better battery life. Granted, there are laptops that have more battery life, lighter (macbook sized esspecially), and maybe more power, but they never have the same blend of all of these attributes.

2. iMac or Mini? iMac. The iMac has much better specs and provides a much better future-proof machine. The Mini seems like a good deal because it's half the price, but it doesn't have a display, keyboard, or mouse. Factor these in, and the cost comes close to about $900. So think of it this way: do you want a six month old machine for $900 or a brand new machine for about $1200? The Mini is only good if you have the display, and your workload for it is going to be light. If you plan on anything serious, forget about the Mini; the iMac will be a much better servant for many more years.

3. Should you go Mac or PC? This really depends on your attitude towards Vista and HP. Personally, I don't like HP laptops. If I was ever forced to buy a PC laptop, it would be either a Sony or a Lenovo (IBM). These two companies live up to my standards (as does Apple). I'm not basing this on random opinion: I used to own an HP laptop, and I've had plenty of time on a Thinkpad and a Vaio. In order to make your decision, ask yourself if OS X is doing something for you that Windows can't. If OS X makes you more productive, wastes less of your time, generally makes you happier, etc, then maybe it would be wise to buy a Mac. If there's nothing you see in OS X, then you don't "need" a Mac per se.

Hope this helps:eek:

7. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I'd go for the imac. Seems your laptop is just fine so desktop seems like the best option.