HP MediaSmart Server with Parellels setup/Administration/add-on instillation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HarrySlone, Feb 9, 2009.

1. HarrySlone macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,
    I am thinking of buying an HP MediaSmart Server EX485, but I had a few questions I was hoping someone would know about before I bought it, and I cant seem to find a clear definitive answer by searching the forums or google.

I read that setup needs to be done on a windows machine, but I don't have a windows machine, so I am wondering if it is possible to setup and administer using parallels with windows XP service pack 2 installed? I read on the FAQ that bootcamp and Parallels aren't supported, but didn't know if that means it not possible to do, and wont work at all, or if its just not recommended by HP.

I have seen alot of mention of "add-ons" software for it, but I dont really understand what that means. Can these add-on software be installed using parallels in the windows XP environment? Once the add-on is installed, can I quit XP and exit parallels, or would it have to be running all the time?

So basically I am wondering if its possible to setup everything (Do the initial setup and install add-on software) quit XP and parallels entirely then use it from my mac as a normal network equipped storage drive, and use the add-on software (I am hoping to add on the software to stream media to my xbox 360, utorrent, MyMovies for Windows Home Server, AnyDVD)

Thanks for any help and advice anyone can give.

2. HarrySlone thread starter macrumors newbie

3. UnclePaulie macrumors regular

I just put an order in one today (found it for $549 on newegg). I will keep you posted once I actually receive the server. From what I understand, any Windows machine should be able to set it up, so I will be doing that through Parallels.

I will also be installing iTunes on it right away, so that I can use it as a media server for my MacBook and Apple TV. To answer one of your questions, once everything is set up, the server is self sufficient and you do not need to be connected it to it via Parallels or other Windows machine to keep it running.

4. vinchete macrumors newbie

I bought an HP 485 MediaSmart Server today and wasn't able to set it up with Parallels 4.x running on my MacBook Pro. I had a garbage picked Dell laying around that worked just fine, but I'd still like to administer the 485 from my MacBook. I suppose I could not have the virtual network card configured properly, but I am getting to the internet just fine...

How did this work out for you guys?
    Can you setup/administer the 485 from Parallels?
    Or do you really need a real Windows-based PC?

Cheers

5. UnclePaulie macrumors regular

I did the initial set-up on mine using Parallels running Windows XP. I can't remember, but it might have failed the first time I tried and worked after that. Then, I installed Remote Desktop Connection for Mac to log into the server for any further administration. Hope that answers your question.