Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
With the back to school deal and student discount, I don't even know if you would be saving much money with that HP.

For me, I recently migrated to a 13" MBP because I wanted to try something different. I like the Apple OS (it has some excellent features for my field of study), physical design (I am an industrial design enthusiast), customer support (stores + applecare), and excellent apps (especially in my field).

You might want to think about how you will use it at school, and then you can determine better if you'd benefit from a Mac.

Here is some of the stuff I use.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12565753/

Here is my workflow.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12564519/

Here is my organizational system.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/12580806/

Of course, everyone has their own system. This is one that happens to work well for me, and the Mac fit a lot better into my workflow than Windows. Perhaps you'll find the MBP to be a good for your needs as well.

It's $540 cheaper, with better screen res. It's basically HALF the price of the Mbp 12". Ridiculous. So what's the student discount, $1099 - and a free 8 gig iPod touch if you auction it is worth what, $150-200?

Apple screwed the pooch with the screen res of the 12". It's pathetic that their netbook has better resolution. And yes, the 11" air is a netbook for all intents and purposes. It doesn't bench much faster than a dm1z, if at all, and again it's
Twice the price.

There are some great apple machines, but they are using it with the 12" Mbp. I'm as much of an apple fan as the next one here, but it is flat out expensive compared to pc counterparts, and runs hotter, and has a lower screen res.

The apple tax had basically vanished for a while, but it's back full force now.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
It's $540 cheaper, with better screen res. It's basically HALF the price of the Mbp 12". Ridiculous. So what's the student discount, $1099 - and a free 8 gig iPod touch if you auction it is worth what, $150-200?
I don't know what "it's" is. And, there is no such thing as a 12" MBP.

For the HP Pavilion dm4-1160us 14-Inch Laptop PC, which seems to have specs similar to the 13" MBP, you'll pay 700 dollars today at Amazon. For the 13" MBP with the student discount, I think you will pay 1100 and you can auction off that ipod for 150 or so, which leaves you with a 250 dollar difference between the two computers. I don't consider this to be terribly big.

Yes. The screen resolution of the MBP is less. And, there are various other differences in specs that exceed the MBP. If the hardware specs are first and foremost in your mind, then I don't think a Mac is going to be for you.

But, if those don't matter so much (I think the screen is beautiful), and you place a higher value on the Mac OS and other features such as the design (as I mentioned in my previous post), then I think the 13" MBP is reasonably priced, and a wonderful computer for school.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
I don't know what "it's" is. And, there is no such thing as a 12" MBP.

For the HP Pavilion dm4-1160us 14-Inch Laptop PC, which seems to have specs similar to the 13" MBP, you'll pay 700 dollars today at Amazon. For the 13" MBP with the student discount, I think you will pay 1100 and you can auction off that ipod for 150 or so, which leaves you with a 250 dollar difference between the two computers. I don't consider this to be terribly big.

Yes. The screen resolution of the MBP is less. And, there are various other differences in specs that exceed the MBP. If the hardware specs are first and foremost in your mind, then I don't think a Mac is going to be for you.

But, if those don't matter so much (I think the screen is beautiful), and you place a higher value on the Mac OS and other features such as the design (as I mentioned in my previous post), then I think the 13" MBP is reasonably priced, and a wonderful computer for school.

'it's' cited in the thread the one you replied to with the specific example :) the 13" z series which out specs the Mbp and can be bought for $560.

Yes I missed the three and hit the two on my iPad..oops.

I know what is for me and isn't; as a lifelong user in his mid 30's I know what the tradeoffs are. I have more than enough experience with computers to have that sussed :) I don't think windows 7 and osx are terribly dissimilar. They are both easy to use.

I'd give more credit to the design if it didn't prevent procreation due to heat...and apple's screens are a mess right now, though the 13" Mbp seems to fare better than many. I'm really looking forward to a redesign, tht can be used on a lap.

The difference is more like $400, which may not be much to you (or me) as a round sum..however, think college student. That said taking the price difference as a percentage it's much more flagrant. Additionally, it's all assumption the iPod is going to be given free and specific to this month or whatnot.

As apple sticks with their yearly updates they will become even more disjointed in the price war, something with which they haven't had to deal as much for the last 2-3 years.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
'it's' cited in the thread the one you replied to with the specific example :) the 13" z series which out specs the Mbp and can be bought for $560.
Perhaps I missed it, but the OP only said HP, and I haven't seen him tell us the exact model and price he is looking at. I know the HP Pavillion I mentioned is slightly larger (14") than the MBP, but it seems to be a roughly equivalent model, so I picked it. I don't know the HP line well, and maybe the OP had a different model in line. At any rate, I don't consider there to be a huge price difference between the two, and there are numerous computers out there roughly equivalent in pricing. Apple isn't as egregious as you make it out to be.

I don't think windows 7 and osx are terribly dissimilar. They are both easy to use.
Actually, I am a lifelong Windows and Apple user. I have found them to be easy to use, but very different in some important ways, especially for the work I do. I suppose it all depends on how you intend to use the machines.

I'd give more credit to the design if it didn't prevent procreation due to heat...
No problems with heat on mine. All of my colleagues have recent models, and they have no problems with theirs. I think the design is brilliant. Indeed, it would be nice if they could find a way to bleed off more heat, but that is a perennial problem faced by any laptop manufacturer.

and apple's screens are a mess right now, though the 13" Mbp seems to fare better than many. I'm really looking forward to a redesign, tht can be used on a lap.
I doubt I well ever use my laptop on my lap. I find it extremely uncomfortable ergonomically speaking. I think Apple's screens are gorgeous, and I have no complaints. Again, though, I think it comes down to use. I certainly wouldn't protest if we got retina displays on everything. But, I am fine without them, especially on the base 13".

The difference is more like $400, which may not be much to you (or me) as a round sum..however, think college student. That said taking the price difference as a percentage it's much more flagrant. Additionally, it's all assumption the iPod is going to be given free and specific to this month or whatnot.
I am a student. It is a huge sum. But, it is far less than a semester's textbooks. It depends on how much you value some of the Apple qualities I mentioned before.

As apple sticks with their yearly updates they will become even more disjointed in the price war, something with which they haven't had to deal as much for the last 2-3 years.
Apple's pricing for the base models is extremely reasonable in my opinion.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
Perhaps I missed it, but the OP only said HP, and I haven't seen him tell us the exact model and price he is looking at. I know the HP Pavillion I mentioned is slightly larger (14") than the MBP, but it seems to be a roughly equivalent model, so I picked it. I don't know the HP line well, and maybe the OP had a different model in line. At any rate, I don't consider there to be a huge price difference between the two, and there are numerous computers out there roughly equivalent in pricing. Apple isn't as egregious as you make it out to be.

Actually, I am a lifelong Windows and Apple user. I have found them to be easy to use, but very different in some important ways, especially for the work I do. I suppose it all depends on how you intend to use the machines.

No problems with heat on mine. All of my colleagues have recent models, and they have no problems with theirs. I think the design is brilliant. Indeed, it would be nice if they could find a way to bleed off more heat, but that is a perennial problem faced by any laptop manufacturer.

I doubt I well ever use my laptop on my lap. I find it extremely uncomfortable ergonomically speaking. I think Apple's screens are gorgeous, and I have no complaints. Again, though, I think it comes down to use. I certainly wouldn't protest if we got retina displays on everything. But, I am fine without them, especially on the base 13".

I am a student. It is a huge sum. But, it is far less than a semester's textbooks. It depends on how much you value some of the Apple qualities I mentioned before.

Apple's pricing for the base models is extremely reasonable in my opinion.

I don't make anything out to be worse than it is. Look at things as a percentage. The disparity is growing as well. By the time we get another (assuming the yearly cycle) it will be even more disproportionate. 40% plus is a disproportionate premium.

As you say different uses will bring to light differences. Perhaps the fact I am a lifelong triplatform user and don't make use of the iLife suite makes osx less valuable. For my mother it's worth the premium. Probably also for video editing. As a photographer and career IT professional, os x has as many downsides. But then, I'm not going to get a virus and know how to maintain a machine. My last 3 machines have been apple, in the span of 10 years and I have worked with numerous studios helping os x infiltration on a corporate level. This time however, for my personal use, I can't justify it.

Perhaps also the fact you have limited experience with the screens is a benefit.

The colors are good not great. The resolution is mediocre. Apple is plagued with panel problems from the iMac, MacBook pro, to iPad. I really do hope they get it fixed. I'm still bummed my iPad 2 has bleed issues (which have worsened over time) and I had to return my 27" iMac After loving with a screen replacement which made things worse on my last MacBook pro.

I just think it's time to give pc makers a chance again. There are a lot more choices if one brand has quality control issues like apple is suffering from, which are substantially less expensive.

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
I had an HP laptop before I made the switch to a MacBook Pro. The HP laptop was ok, but not great. Actually I should say the second one was ok but not great... the first one had so many problems they had it more then I did and they had to replace it with a new one. I had a hard time getting them to replace it, if it had been Apple they would have offered me a new one much sooner. I love my MacBook pro, I now have two of them.

OS X vs Windows... OS X is soooo much better. It is not without it's minor annoyances every once in a great while but I think for every one issue I have with OS X I would have had about 50 with windows. Also the OS X issues are generally minor and very easy to fix.

If you want a good laptop that will be relatively worry free with easy access to support if you do have an issue, get the MacBook.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I don't make anything out to be worse than it is. Look at things as a percentage. The disparity is growing as well. By the time we get another (assuming the yearly cycle) it will be even more disproportionate. 40% plus is a disproportionate premium.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree here. It seems to me that the base 13" MBP is quite competitive. I still don't see your 40%, though :)

This time however, for my personal use, I can't justify it.
I think this is where the price does matter. If the OS, design, and other features aren't a big deal, then the gap between pcs and macs seems unacceptable. It is an issue of utility, and for some people, the Mac doesn't offer as much as it does for others.

Perhaps also the fact you have limited experience with the screens is a benefit.
Actually, I have extensive experience with different kinds of Mac / PC screens. I work in a mixed environment. I find the 13" MBP screen to be quite beautiful. Then again, I also find my iPodTouch 1 screen to be nice as well. I don't see the big deal yet about the higher resolutions, even when I can see the difference. Perhaps it depends on what I do. PDFs and Word files pretty much look the same in any resolution.

I just think it's time to give pc makers a chance again. There are a lot more choices if one brand has quality control issues like apple is suffering from, which are substantially less expensive.
Although I do not see Apple suffering from QC problems (any more than other companies), I think PC makers certainly deserve consideration. I totally agree with you on this, and if some of the features unique to the MBP don't carry much weight with you, then one should definitely look elsewhere. Personally, I am quite keen on the new ASUS ultraportable computer, and if I was in the market for a PC, I would be looking at it. As it is now, though, Windows doesn't offer some of the features I need for my work, and I will be sticking with Macs.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Ok guys, I need your Mac wisdom.

I'm looking into buying the low end 13 inch Macbook Pro for pharmacy school in the fall and I need a push in the right direction. I keep thinking I want a MPB but at the same time I am your typical PC gamer that can't help but to stare at the specs of a computer.
:
I already have a pretty powerful desktop with two 23 inch monitors so I can do pretty much anything on that.

But, I guess my question is what are the benefits of spending more money on the MPB. I'll be in school from 8-5 pretty much every day, taking notes, using office, watching youtube videos, and on a side note I am an extreme multitasker.

Is the OS that much better than windows?

It seems to me that since you already have a gaming desktop, you have complete freedom to choose whatever laptop meets your educational requirements. I can't imagine that you will have any time to game between classes in pharmacy school, so that you need to game on a laptop, and, if you are used to gaming on a powerful desktop machine, you will never be satisfied with a laptop -- at least, anything less than a 12 lb Alienware you wouldn't want to lug around anyway.

I would try to visit the pharmacy school and see how many students have Macs. If few do, it may be because the school culture makes it difficult. If lots do, get the MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.