HP Officejet Pro 6500 A

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AppleDApp, Sep 10, 2011.

1. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Today I received my HP printer and started setting it up. Everything worked fine installing it on my windows 7 PC.

Now I plugged the printer to my mac via USB. the mac recognized the printer started downloading the software and all. Now that that's done I put in the disk that came with the printer and I get the error message saying that my OS (Lion) is not supported. HP's website tells to check for software update and download the new update but Apple updates can't seem to find it.

HELP!!!!:mad:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Let me get this straight--when you plug-in the printer, the OS automatically downloads the drivers. However, when you insert the disc that shipped with the printer, you get an error saying that the software is incompatible with Lion.

The HP webpage for the OfficeJet 6500A makes it abundantly clear that the driver is supplied with Lion via Software Update. You have already downloaded the Lion driver when you plugged-in the printer. What exactly do you expect from the software on the disc?

3. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I'm not exactly sure if software update downloaded the drivers. when I put the cd in it says incompatible. I called HP the said the update is not out yet the website says otherwise

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It is irrelevant whether or not the drivers were downloaded by Software Update. By your admission, you downloaded the drivers when you connected the printer as per standard MacOS X practice since Snow Leopard.

When you inserted the CD, the installer told you that it is not compatible with Lion. Earth to AppleDApp, the installer is not lying to you. This is the flip-side of the information on HP's website. In addition to clicking on the link that I just gave you, you may also reach this page from the OfficeJet Pro 6500A's Software & Driver webpage.

The bottomline is that your Mac running Lion does not need that CD.

5. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

If I download the driver from the last link will it work? HP customer support says the update isn't out. :confused:

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Did you or did you not download the drivers when you plugged-in the printer?

7. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

So here is what I did. I installed SL because Lion was not compatible. I installed the updates now I can scan and print wirelessly with no issues. I'll just wait for the Lion update and switch over to Lion when everything works well.

8. ZipZap macrumors 601

Forget about the CDs they will not work.

I have the 8500a Premium and this fully works under lion.

Just use Lion to install the printer (which I believe you have done).

You'll loose the annoying HP tools but the printer will work.

9. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

I've never used the CDs that come with gear for drivers.

10. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

Ok so just a quick recap I'm still running Snow leopard from what you're telling me I should forget about the CD. I uninstalled all the HP software. Checked for software updates. downloaded and installed the HP printer update.

Now when I try and print something it says me printer is offline however my printer says it's connected to wifi

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

So you are going to have to make sure that your printer is online. Which protocol do have it setup to use? If I were you, then I would use Bonjour.

12. AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

how do I setup Bonjour protocol?

13. ZipZap macrumors 601

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Two ways:
    1. Setup the printer in the Print & Fax preferences pane as a Bonjour printer. Set this as your default printer. Whenever you print, your default selection will be the OfficeJet Pro 6500A using the Bonjour protocol.
    2. Within the File/Print... dialog box, click the Printer popup menu. Scroll down to the Bonjour Printers> menu selection. Select your OfficeJet Pro 6500A from the list of available Bonjour printers. The downside is that this technique requires this selection process each time you print.

15. AppleDApp, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011

AppleDApp thread starter macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

I've been with HP tech support for about 2hrs now. I can print wirelessly :D (finally) but I'm still working on trying to get acrobat to recognize my scanner.

EDIT: After talking to tech support for about 10hrs over the last few days and being transfered from Apple to HP to Adobe, I've requested a refund from Adobe. I need something that works and Adobe could not help me. I'm currently looking for a software that will allow me to make a PDF from a scanner, OCR, add Notes, the ability to edit/highlight add links, videos/pictures/graphs.

Ideally I want to have the ability to try the software before purchasing it and I want tech support for when everything goes bad.

16. myhus macrumors newbie