HP or Epson? Which has a better implementation of wirelss connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hajime, Mar 9, 2012.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello. I have the MBP, PC, iPod Touch and the iPad 2. I am considering to buy a wireless all in one printer from HP or Epson. As you know, each company has their own implementations:

HP has: ePrint, ePrintCenter, Print apps
    Epson has: iPrint, AirPrint, Epson Connect Email Print and Google Cloud Print.

Which company has better implementations? Do they function equally well in a multi OS environment?

2. skorpien, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

skorpien macrumors 68020

I'm unsure of the Epson implementation, but I have an HP 6500A Plus and I can vouch that it works across multiple platforms. My HP actually does have AirPrint and I've printed to it using my iPhone 4S. I also have 2 Macs (Lion and Snow Leopard) and 2 Windows (Win 7 32 bit and 64 bit) machines that are all capable of printing to it. I haven't had any issues whatsoever and setup was seamless.

Although I did set up ePrint, I haven't used it yet so I cannot comment on that or the ePrintCenter. The Print apps seem to be a bit of a gimmick to me but they may prove more useful in your situation.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

In the case of HP's implementation, print by sending the doc to an email address, fax (send and receive), scan through wifi do work. Am I right? If so, I basically have access to a fax machine and a scanner from anywhere in the world as long as I can connect to the net.

If I am at Location A and the printer is in Location B. If I ask somebody at Location B to scan some documents, I can get the scanned files in Location A. Am I right? To do that, is it necessarily that the printer be connected to a computer?

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

I'm not sure I understand your question in regards to faxing away from home. And to tell the truth, I'm not sure if the HP printers are capable of that.

If you mean that you're able to send documents to the printer from anywhere in the world, then yes. When you first set up your printer, it will prompt you to set up ePrint. This gives your printer an email address to which you can send documents that need to be printed.

For your scanning question, you can scan to an email address with some HP printers, which will let you access any scanned documents so long as you have access to your email:
    http://h71036.www7.hp.com/hho/us/en/ep/articles/scan-to-email-network-folders.html

None of these features require a computer. As long as your printer is connected to the Internet through your router and you've set them up, you'll be able to use all of its online features.