HP p1102w w/ Mountain Lion & iOS

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LinuxHack3r, Aug 13, 2012.

1. LinuxHack3r macrumors newbie

I really like the looks of the p1102w, but many reviews on Amazon paint it was a horrible match with anything Mac. It is Airprint enabled, I don't see what the problem is. Does anyone have one of these?

Is this not all that is required?

How do you like this printer? Pros? Cons? Etc?

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

If your concerned ablout compatibility check out the Brother 2270w. I've been using its predecessor (2170w) for 2 years now. Great little printer that works very well with Macs.

And don't worry about printers being Airprint compatible or not. Just download and install "Airprint Activator" and ALL your printers become Airprint compatible :)

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

I agree...HP's support of Macs is often lacking. You'll often see folks moaning here because a system upgrade has left them behind. Better off with Brother or Canon. And their included software is often better. Check to see who's first with ML updates, for example.

And another good application to use is Printopia. It has some nice sharing features in addition to allowing you to print to any printer attached to a mac running the application.

The only downside is that the printer has to be attached to a mac or PC (FingerPrint) for this to work. But you don't have to buy an airprint printer.

4. Seamaster macrumors 6502a

Seamaster

I had a right game getting one of these to work wirelessly with my MacBook Air running Mountain Lion. And HP's support is worse than useless.

If you have access to a Windows PC, and can set it up on that first, you will find that easier than trying to set it up on your Mac first.

I suspect HP haven't caught up with ML yet. Pity, because it's a good little printer otherwise.

5. LinuxHack3r thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually purchased the Brother HL-5470DW for $193 no tax/shipping from BH photo video. The cost increase to me was worth automated duplexing/wireless and overall cheaper cost per page. Get the TN750 toner cartridge, and it estimates 8000 pages! Of course that is a high estimate, but lets say it is only 4000 pages.......that is only 2.25 cents a page! Half that if you get closer to 8000 per cartridge!

I actually did not want to fool with Printopia or anything of the like. Good reviews, but for simplicity's sake and not having to have a computer on all the time...I decided to go true AirPrint capable.

----------

BTW...Brother lists this as being Airprint capable (HL-5470DW), but it isn't listed on the official Apple list. I wonder why?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4356?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

6. recharge23 macrumors regular

bought one a few weeks ago for my rmbp and wife's air and had the same problems everyone else has with it. then i realized i still had a macbook running snow leopard on it and used it to set it up. works perfectly now with all my devices.