HP / Palm tablet info leaked - Dual core 1.2 ghz processor, 9.7" screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thesmoth, Jan 24, 2011.

1. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Its the software dummy.

The hardware is nothing to get excited about, but webOS is really good.

2. thesmoth thread starter macrumors 6502

"Its the software dummy."

I don't really know what this means. I posted a link to a leak of the tablet and the specs I didn't say it was bad.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I didn't say ti was bad, I said that the specs weren't anything amazing, but the OS is good.

"Its the software dummy" is something Steve Jobs said in regards to the iPhone back when it had meager hardware specs, and it means specs are less important than the OS, and range of apps. As both the iPad and the Pre Tablet, not to mention what conservative rumors on the iPad2 are saying - faster CPU, at least 512MB RAM, dual cameras, have similar specs what's going to matter more is the OS. WebOS is great, but how wide is the dev support? How many and what variety of apps and games will there be? As these are still unknown, why would you pick the Pre over the iPad or iPad2?

4. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Multiple storage options, so we should see multiple price points.

Standard sized screen.

Looks like they're on the right track, but is it too late???

5. Highcroft macrumors regular

It seems to match the specs of my predictions for the iPad 2 (Cortex A9, 512MB RAM, 9.7" IPS, 16/32/64GB storage) and WebOS is looking like it's going to be quite a good tablet operating system. Hopefully it's as quick/smooth as iOS and that HP will be able to pull in more developers. The mention of having HP, Palm, and Beats branding on the device is kind of off-putting though.

6. thesmoth thread starter macrumors 6502

These rumours for all of the upcoming tablets have me really excited, because it means that the rumour high-end specs for the iPad 2 (that everyone thought were ridiculous at first) now seem quite feasible (with the super high-res screen still questionable).

One of the big uses I will have for the iPad 2 is reading tons of PDF files (scientific papers), and man, if it has a 'retina' display with high resolution, I will be VERY excited.

7. vladi macrumors 6502

As a WebOS user I follow news about it and here some very good info about upcoming tablet.

8. vladi macrumors 6502

Touchstone 2

9. robertpetry macrumors 6502

robertpetry

10. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

Precentral also published a bunch of details about the tablet UI features.

Personally I find this sort of stuff far more interesting than lists of specs. Interesting snippets include cursor left/right keys on the keyboard, a multi-pane email client which appears a bit similar to Twitter's iPad App and iPad style pop-overs for editing details.

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I agree. A slightly faster processor interest me far less than new ways of doing things. I feel the same way about the Adam's Eden UI. Still, the question is how polished is the OS and what kind of lags or stutters, if any, are there? That's the kind of thing that makes or breaks an OS..."its the software, dummy". Also, what range of apps will it have. One thing that Apple has over Android is that the majority of the apps in its store feel like apps, while the majority of Androids feel like wallpapers and small ui tweeks.

12. thesmoth thread starter macrumors 6502

I also agree, which is why apple is so good. At the same time though, there aren't too many OS details yet.

13. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Iv'e played with webOS on one of the phones. The OS overtaxed the hardware but was extremely slick. If the tablet's guts can drive the thing sufficiently such that the user experience is slick and smooth at all times, then HP will have brought a legit iPad competitor to market. I actually hope they do, not because i am likely to switch, but because competition is good!

14. gatearray macrumors 65816

I think that this is the exact reason why all judgment should be withheld regarding these new tablet OS releases.

I mean, if their OS is inefficient and bloated, it will need much of those dual-core and RAM resources just to do it's thing even close to iOS. What system resources will be left over for the (non-existent at this point) applications?

What Mac OSX can do with a 1.4ghz C2D with 2gb RAM on the new 11" MBA is not the same as if that hardware was running Windows, and I think we're going to see the same kind of comparisons being made with these forthcoming tablets, as well.

15. MrWillie, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011

MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

But is it too late ? I mean, no matter how slick, smooth, or fast it is, will it be able to stop the iPad ? I read articles almost daily about businesses adopting the iPad. Big business (recently Wells Fargo).

Here's one about a Tennessee school.

http://www.ksla.com/Global/story.asp?S=13880126

Is HP (with their crappy customer support) even able to slow this train down, or will it get run over and crushed into oblivion ?

16. Androidpwns macrumors regular

Unfortunately, this acts as a double edged mechanic. If questioned, the poster may refer you to a quotation. Should the same words go unquestioned, it can be read "as is". This could make ppl wonder why the quotation's origin was not mentioned on the first run. But with extra cover, people can then be told "you mean you DIDN'T know Steve Jobs said that?".

You take it as you read it I guess ;)

17. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

VAPOR WARE .... Let's see what it is when it actually hits the market.

18. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

You do know it's being announced in less than two weeks, right?

19. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

:D

Can't wait either. WebOS is pretty sweet! :)

20. hcho3 macrumors 68030

The way they handled HP slate was so F amazing. They expected to sell around 20000-30000 units and complained later that demands were so high. I don't expect anything from company like HP to ever get serious about tablet market. Web OS is nice, but HP is not.

21. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

i hear you will also be able to change out the processor in them! Im going to put the westmere 3.33 6 core in mine when I get it!