HP Pavilion 700 problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alexbates, Apr 11, 2009.

1. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I have an old HP Pavilion 700 that I am having trouble with.

A few months ago, I replaced its power supply because the fan inside of it would start up for about a second and then shut off.

The problem I am having now is the fan (shown in pic) connected to the motherboard is shutting off at random times and causes the external display to go blank. But the fan inside the power supply will always stay on though. Sometimes, I can get the computer completely booted up for about 10 minutes and use it just like normal before this happens. Other times, I can only get as far as the startup screen before the fan and screen shut off.

Any ideas of what the problem could be?

Attached Files:

2. alexbates thread starter macrumors 65816

alexbates

Anyone? Just to let y'all know, I'm pulling out my familiy's old PC hoping to turn it into a hackintosh.

3. MTI macrumors 65816

Could be that the fan, being used to cool the processor mounted below it, is failing or has a compromised power connection, which can either be physical or temperature controlled, but generally processor cooling fans are constant on units.

4. alexbates thread starter macrumors 65816

alexbates

Thanks for your help! I think I have actually found the problem and it might not be the fan after all. When I replaced the power supply, I was only paying attention to the model and not the fact that the one I ordered was a replacement substitute power supply. So it is 250 watts instead of the origional 200 watt power supply that the HP Pavilion came with.

So it does involve the power connection like you mentioned in a way. I guess it has too much power and just shuts itself off. Thanks again!

5. MTI macrumors 65816

I doubt that a larger wattage power supply is going to be the cause, since the DC voltage to the motherboard and all the other power connectors that the PC uses are identical. The extra 50W just means it can handle higher wattage applications, like more internal drives or PCI/AGP card slots.

When you installed the new power supply, did it have the same/identical power plugs for the motherboard connectors?

6. alexbates thread starter macrumors 65816

alexbates

Yes, plus a few extra connectors that have nowhere to connect to. There are two identical connecters for the hard drive like you mentioned but I have one hard drive so only 1 connector is being used.

7. alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

What did you use?

What OS did you install on the machine?

Leopard?
    Snow Leopard?

Either way, what distro did you use? Sorry for reviving old thread...
    Just wondering. Just got an HP Pavillion 700 from a friend.