HP Photosmart All-in-one C4280 not working

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by somewhatvaguely, May 23, 2009.

1. somewhatvaguely macrumors member

somewhatvaguely

(I've checked the internet/a couple other threads here, but they didn't seem to relate to/resolve my problem)

Okay, this stupid printer has caused me problems from the start. The only reason I have it was because my mom(who is a PC user) bought it since it was compatible with both operating systems, and I wanted a scanner. The whole scan thing wasn't working for me until I finally figured out on my own to install a new driver, and then it was "fine". But the whole process was slow, redundant, sucky, etc.

It was working - if not well, smoothly - until today, when I started getting kernel panics whenever I attached the included USB port onto my macbook. I was getting frustrated, and no amount of restarting/researching seemed to get anywhere, so after checking software updates, I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it. Then the setup kept "unexpectedly quitting" whenever I clicked "next". I repaired the disk, and checked software updates again(apparently there was an HP thing to be downloaded). Now, no printer shows up on the second step. Help?!

I'm fairly certain everything is connected correctly, and the printer is definitely working in terms of connectivity to the electrical outlet, so what is the problem? Am I missing an important step here?

Step One in Setup:
    [​IMG]

Okay, next:
    [​IMG]

?!?!

2. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I have the same printer got it with that 100$ off crap last year. I can say it worked for a year, tried getting it working after a reformat and dosen't work anymore. Try the other USB port?

3. somewhatvaguely thread starter macrumors member

somewhatvaguely

No, I don't think it's the mac's problem, but thanks for trying....

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Not to put it too bluntly, but all of the info I've read up recently about USB ports and portables and kernel panics have been related to attempts to jailbreak the iPhone/iPod touch. Have you done so recently? If so you need to reload the drivers for the USB ports, either by archive and installing the system (not the same as reformat) then applying the updates or going to the Apple Developers Connection page and running the IOUSBFamily Log release for Mac OS X 10.5.6 Build 9G55 installer. Info about the standalone installer to be found here. Hypothetically after running that the printer should appear in that setup window.

If I went completely off the deep-end and made some bad assumptions, I may have some other suggestions to offer if you need further assistance.

5. somewhatvaguely thread starter macrumors member

somewhatvaguely

Actually, yes I have. But I tried also a while ago and it was fine afterward, though I didn't get past the DFU mode back then. I'll try what you said.

(Oh, it's not the whole USB at least, only the printer's seem to be affected, my tablet and iPod USBs work fine)

EDIT: Yes, I think you've understood the problem perfectly, thanks, installing the Apple developer thing at the moment. It should work now.

Gah! STILL NOT WORKING!!!

6. somewhatvaguely thread starter macrumors member

somewhatvaguely

7. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Next possible solutions I could think of were to reset the printing system (right click in the list of the left hand side of Print & Fax preferences pane), and try to readd the printer. Alternatively you could pull the /Library/Printers/HP folder and then reinstall the drivers specific for the C4280 from the hp download page.