Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Not sure how many of you have seen the Pre 3 yet, but it is looking very nice. Many sites have hands on demos and specifications for it. I have an iPhone 3GS right now, and it looks like I'll be waiting to see what the new iPhone is all about this summer, then I'll make my decision between that or the Pre 3.

I love webOS and think it's the best challenge to IOS, although sales will indicate otherwise. Just my opinion. Anyone else check it out yet? if so, what are your thoughts?

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
I would consider it if it didn't have a slideout keyboard. It's quite a thick phone too.

diegoesk

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2010
my thoughts...

I love the iphone and am completely hooked now that I switched from ATT to verizon.

buuuuut- in my most honest and humble opinion- the only thing iOS has going for itself is its ease of use + apps = an ultimate experience.

Unless Jobs and the A-team can come up with something extroadinary for iphone 5, you can bet apple will be heading back to its pre-ipod days..

I messed around with the old Pre and its just as fluid and nice as the iOs if not better..

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
The Pre hardware is garbage, I do like the WebOS not as much as iOS but close. IMO it's better than Android but it doesn't have the apps.

gdjsnyder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Swoyersville, PA
Unless Jobs and the A-team can come up with something extroadinary for iphone 5, you can bet apple will be heading back to its pre-ipod days..

Never going to happen. They'll throw in a few minor upgrades and they'll sell millions. I don't think Apple will ever see pre-iPod days again.

Also, I like the processor in the Pre 3, but that's about it. Can't stand a hardware keyboard, and it's just too small for me when the keyboard isn't out. It just feels weird in my hand.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
The Pre hardware is garbage, I do like the WebOS not as much as iOS but close. IMO it's better than Android but it doesn't have the apps.

Pre hardware yes but the discussion is about Pre 3 which is miles better than the original Pre.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The problem that HP is dealing with is perception.

The perception that its a two horse race, iOS and android - heck even MS is dealing with this.

The webos based phones have not really garnered any energy, or excitement since their initial release. So far I don't see HP doing anything to change that.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
Don't get me wrong I do love Web OS in terms of UI and functionality but it's one big downfall is lack of ecosystem. That is the big buzzword now when it comes to mobile OS's. Even the Nokia CEO just admitted this during his Q&A with Ballmer.

"Nokia is facing a lot of challenges right now. The game has changed."

"From a battle of devices to a war of ecosystems."

As much as Web OS is great and I'm a huge admirer of it sadly I think this will fail due to having lack of apps etc.

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
I like the iPhone because of the App Store. I don't think Palm will have the same App eco system for quite a while, because there really isn't much reason for dev's to make apps for the Pre when they can develop for iOS/Android and know that their product will be on the shelf for millions of people to buy. I know that is the reason I picked iOS development.

chrdog

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2010
I think Pre 3 will get a boost in sales because HP will put some sort of extra functionality for the OS in most everything it sells. Their new tablet looks interesting, and it has some nice synergy going with the phone as well, and I think it will lead to some more app development. Since webOS is easily scalable, the apps will work on both the phones and the tablet, and whatever else HP sticks in it.

That being said, their app catalog is minuscule compared to the big two (probably somewhere around 7-10,000 now), but most apps seems to be quality as opposed to iOS and android, where I would guess that at least 60% of the apps in the catalog are trash.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I like webOS, but the complete integration with my macs will keep me with my iPhone.

+1 I predict some mega promotions on launch day for the Pre 3 however I'm expecting uberfail from this model just like its predecessors did. If they dare come out with a Palm 3 Pixi Plus, I will burn HP's corporate offices to the ground. I'm actually more interested in their tablet as I'm looking forward to seeing how the tablet wars play out. The release of the Pre 3, to me, just seems like eye candy and nothing more.

los318

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Austin, Tx
if i where forced to move away from my Iphone, the Pre3 would be the next choice. but only if i where forced to move. I've played with WP7 and Andriod. WebOS is a much better experince then both of those.

elan123

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
I like webOS, but the complete integration with my macs will keep me with my iPhone.
543.jpg

You use macs? must be graphic design, thats the only reason it could be...

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
The OS has always been fine with me. It's the hardware that seems like they are still playing catch-up and acting "me too" when Android and Apple will leapfrog over it again this year. And considering it is unpopular, it doesn't have much app support. Pre can't really hang with the higher-end phones. In two months, you see it drop to $49 with contract. HP should just focus marketing this to the midrange level and not among the premium phones. Sell it unlocked for $299 or lower. Apple could already be attacking the lower-end market with a rumored unlocked $200 iPhone (mini). HP should make the move NOW before those $200 iPhones sell like crazy. Competition are just too stupid sometimes and just wait what Apple does first. By the time they do make a move, Apple is already making a killing in that area. Look at the tablet market.

But WebOS is great. A little of me died inside now that I have to start calling it HP Pre 3.

R.I.P. Palm :(

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Pre hardware yes but the discussion is about Pre 3 which is miles better than the original Pre.

I was talking about the Pre 3. The only spec that I like is 1.4GHz processor but theres dual core 1GHz phones coming out this year that save on batter life and the Pre 3 is still ugly.

Theres a lot of 2010 technology on the Pre 3. 480 x 800 dispaly, 8GB/16GB of storage.

taskmanager

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2009
The Palm 3 is a last gasp of air from palm before hp kills their brand and looses the market share that was once palm. The phone sucks. It is in no way innovative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.