Hp printer connected to my Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bigcountry818, Nov 25, 2010.

1. bigcountry818 macrumors newbie

You would think that since I was able to connect my HP laserjet printer to my router via the USB connection easy enough it wouldn't be a big deal for my iPad to recognize it on the wireless network????? What a joke. Simple networking.

2. csixty4 macrumors regular

You're thinking too desktop-centric there. In an Airprint setup, the device that wants to print (an iPad or iPhone) doesn't get a driver. It listens for Bonjour broadcasts saying a UDF-capable printer is available, then when you want to print it basically generates a PDF and sends it over. All the intelligence is on the printer or whatever is acting as a print server.

The networking is fine. The problem is Apple needs to update the firmware for the Airport Express and Airport Extreme to support UDF. Hopefully they'll get around to it when they add printer sharing to Macs.

3. BrEEdAA macrumors member

BrEEdAA

Excellent explanation, was wondering this too, thanks

4. csixty4 macrumors regular

Thanks. I'm torn. On one hand, I like this setup because I can print on anyone's shared printer without worrying about drivers or loading up my iPad with every conceivable one. On the other hand, I'm hoping my Airport Express isn't being forgotten. Printopia is nice, but I'd like to print without my Mac Mini turned on. That's why I bought the Express in the first place.

5. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

That's just temporary. There's a rumor that a new update coming in about 2 weeks may improve AirPrint; just don't know how much.

In the meantime, I have a great app idea that may solve this problem. All I need is an experienced iOS programmer who wants to team up to develop it.