HP Printer Driver now appearing in Software Update

Discussion in 'macOS' started by motulist, Jan 31, 2008.

1. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I don't know if it's ever happened before, but it's news to me. For the first time ever I've seen non-Apple software just appear in Software Update! It's offering me an updated HP printer driver! Cool!

Attached Files:

2. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

Wow that is cool! What kind of printer do you have? My mom is using one of those HP all-in-one printers and they do not yet have a Leopard compatible driver, so she can only print but not scan, etc. It would be great if software update would notify her when the driver is released!

3. hodgjy macrumors 6502

This happened to me, too, and it's the same driver that appeared on the Leopard install DVD. I found the HP 1012 driver is absolutely incompatible with Leopard so I resorted to using Gutenprint. It works quite well.

4. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

It's a C3150 all in one. It already had a leopard compatible driver before this update.

5. hodgjy macrumors 6502

That is pretty cool. I was disappointed when I thought the updated driver would work, but alas it didn't. Glad to hear you're getting updated HP drivers through Mac update.

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, they were supposed to let 3rd party apps use software update a while ago (or it was a feature of 10.5 or something). Nice to see it finally happening.

Edit: I just checked HP's site and they posted some new 10.5 drivers there as well. Probably the same ones.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yes that's normal for some HP printers. Awhile ago there is a story on it, although I didn't remember the last time I updated my printer driver...

8. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Yippee. They don't work...

I still can't scan or fax to my all-in-one Laserjet 3030. Thanks HP. Decent hardware. Crappy software (especially for Mac).

Can anyone scan using an HP all-in-one and Leopard?

9. mach macrumors regular

I too am having the same problem! I have an All-in-one PSC 1210 printer and can't scan, which is very annoying! I hope they resolve this issue soon!

10. philgilder macrumors 68000

im using a photosmart c4180
    its basically an all in one, scanner printer copier
    works 100% fine, scanning is great...

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I had an updated driver for my Epson printer a couple of days after Leopard came out.

12. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

Yes, I can scan and print just fine on my c3150 both before and after this update. The software sucks, it's slow and stupid, but it is perfectly functional.