HP printer drivers for 10.5.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Stephy7, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Stephy7 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I'm new to mac, and not very good with technology sometimes, although I've been searching high and low for answer to this problem.
    I have a Macbook with 10.5.8 on it, and I installed a driver for my HP Deskjet 5740 printer, but it doesn't give me all the options I used to have (such as grey scale or fast draft).

In reading through the forums I think there is a different driver that I need perhaps? I've tried deleting and re-adding the printer, and re downloading the driver as well.

I've seen some people have solved the problem with Linux drivers for other printers, but I have no idea how this works.

If someone can PLEASSEEEEE help me so I can print in fast draft again and have all of the options I used to have that would be so great!

Thanks.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The driver for the HP DeskJet 5740 Color InkJet Printer is included with your installation of MacOS X 10.5. You should not install downloaded drivers from HP's website. Doing so will only create problems.

3. Stephy7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have read that, however, when I go to add my printer, in the drop down menu which says select the driver you want to use, the Deskjet 5740 is not in the list. Neither is the 5700 series, so I don't know which one to choose.

I forget what I chose last time I did it, in any case, I had it working earlier, the problem is that I cannot print a fast draft, or quick print. So whatever comes already installed on my system does not give the same options that I had on the PC.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What do you mean by this?

5. ebuh macrumors newbie

The model number HP Deskjet 5740.

Method 1:
    You may refer to the below links and use the troubleshooters. Check if it lists and helps resolve any issues: Open the Printer troubleshooter:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...en&product=top

Method 2:
    You may check if you have the latest drivers installed for the device. You may refer to the below link for getting the latest drivers and check –
    HP Deskjet 5740 Driver

Regards

6. twknutsonmnusa macrumors newbie

twknutsonmnusa

HP Office Jet / DeskJet 5740 FOR MAC OS 10.5.8 or earlier
    - Guetenprint may be known to some of you by the former company name of Gimp-Print.
    - Gutenprint does create many new print drivers in any given year.
    - According to Guetenprint WEB page the firm makes " High quality drivers for Canon, Epson, Lexmark, Sony, Olympus, and PCL printers for use with CUPS, Ghostscript, Foomatic, and GIMP."
    -
    1) Search the Internet for Gutenprint 5.2.10a
    2) Download the program to your hard drive
    3) CLICK ON: Apple, System Preferences, Print and Fax, + to add
    4) Highlight "Printer name" highlight HP5740
    5) Under "Print using" you will get a long list of available printers
    6) Look for & SELECT : HP Laserhet 3P W CCL5 - UPS + Gutenprint V5.2.10
    7) once the print driver is added, print a test page with WORD, or other program

Tom Knutson - MN USA - over 25 years supporting local, national and global IT