HP Printer (Envy 100 or Photosmart Premium)?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by guklein, Dec 30, 2010.

1. guklein macrumors 6502a

2. cainnovacaine macrumors regular

cainnovacaine

Just got the Envy 100, and far and away, it seems like the best printer I've ever bought. It's insanely easy to set up, but wired connectivity is weird. I picked it up because it's AirPlay compatible and the setup of my apartment necessitates that my computer is wireless also. It's also good for low needs printing (small paper tray, not insanely fast)

It looks like a really nice old school flatbed scanner... Kinda dig that part of it.

3. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Grolsch30 macrumors member

Have any of you done the updates from HP for your envy?

I ask because I bought an envy 100(UK) and it asked me to do an update which i did but it crashed my printer bringing it into a continuous update loop.

There are many threads on it via google.

Anyway cut a long story short managed to get it replaced from where i bought it from after a lot of phoning to HP (India!!!!), and when i set it up made sure that the automatic update setting was set to manual and not auto to make sure this update bug does not happen again.

You would of thought that HP would of pulled the update because it made your printer unusable but they did no such thing. Still dont know if it has been remedied and dont want to take that chance!

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

In that price range I would get the HP Photosmart Premium Fax CQ521A over the Envy 100. In trumps the Envy in nearly every facet and has more features.

Pro's:
    - Cheaper ink (about $25 for remanufactured HP 564XL full sets on Amazon $65 for 3 full sets)
    - Higher color print resolution (2400dpi vs 1200dpi)
    - Higher copy resolution (1200dpi vs 600dpi)
    - Higher scan resolution (4800dpi vs 1200dpi)
    - Greater scan color depth (48bit vs 24bit)
    - Higher print speeds
    - Higher monthly duty cycle (in other words you can print more before it breaks)
    - Automatic Document Feeder (for copying multiple pages)
    - Duplex Copies (copy both sides of a page in the feeder)
    - Higher Tray Capacity (125 vs 80)
    - Handles many more document types
    - Can print on compatible CD's/DVD's
    - Handles more media card types
    - Lower standby and sleep watt usage
    - Fax Capabilities
    - Ethernet Port

Con's
    - Larger
    - Does not look as nifty
    - Higher active watts (which only occurs when printing, scanning, copying)
    - Smaller LCD

6. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Rather than start a new thread I thought I would freshen this one. I have a question about the Envy.

The updating software issues people report are those the Apps side or when checking for updates and seeing the update listed along with any other updates Apple has listed in the auto update list?

Or

Is there yet another update menu in the Envy screen menu on the printer?
    Love the printer, works great and don't want to fix something that is not broken I guess. I see there is an update listed in the menu when I checked for other Mac OS updates. For now I'm not installing it till I can get a better idea

7. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

Envy users turn off automatic updates in your web settings. I also got hit by the infinite update loop and had to send my printer in for a replacement.

HP is supposedly working on the fix right now. Other than the borked upgrade and replacement hassle I have to say I like the printer.

8. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Thanks

9. FearlessSpiff macrumors member

10. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    As FearlessSpiff indicated, the firmware to fix the "update loop problem" is on HP's web site and I applied it no problem.

I've only had the printer a couple of days - I did a lot of reading on it before pulling the trigger and it certainly meets my aesthetic demands like no other color inkjet printer out there. (My day-to-day home office printer is the stunning multi-function Samsung SCX-4500 laser printer - these two machines compliment each other well.)

Among discussions out there, two major items were noted as negatives:

1. The "update loop" problem (which now has a fix.) When I read this, my first task was to turn off the auto-updates on the printer itself so I wouldn't get caught in that problem. Basically within the same day, lo and behold, a firmware update came out, so I applied it via my Mac wirelessly to the printer - all went well, and I still have auto-updates turned off just as a precaution.

2. The front panel of the printer opens to release a printed page, then is "supposed" to close after you take the paper out. Many times, it does not close, thus ruining the overall "cool" factor of the device - it just stays open. If you manually close the door, then print again, it performs normally for as long as the printer is NOT "asleep," once the printer goes to sleep, this somewhat annoying cycle starts over again.

You can search the web for "HP Envy Printer door" and find forums where the issue has been talked to death for months. In the grand scope of life overall, it's not a show-stopper, and I really LOVE this printer-scanner-copier in many respects, especially its' look and overall operation. (A great treat is being able to have the option to print on both sides of the paper automatically!)

But a big selling point is, after all, the "fun" of the door opening, the paper catcher sliding out, and everything resetting back in place when you remove the print job - as I stated, after it goes to sleep (you can choose only 5 or 15 minutes, that's it) the door does not "remember" to close after that first job. If you close it manually, and the printer is "awake" it will open and close normally.

When and if that gets properly addressed, I don't know. But, for now, it's not enough for me to return it for the other color inkjet options out there - I don't relish the idea of having an SUV-sized hunk of plastic taking up my desk real estate. It's a small cost for the return of having a beautiful machine. Art for Arts' Sake? Perhaps. :cool: