HP registers trademark for PalmPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by voldermort, Jul 19, 2010.

1. voldermort thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm anti-fanboy as they come, but when I read that name, I thought: "Why, HP?" You're just opening yourself up to "copycat" claims.

PalmTab?

Palmlet? :p

TabPalm?

Palm Slate? (I like this one)

2. Justin122 macrumors 6502

Exactly. As soon as I read the name "PalmPad" it just screamed to me that it was an iPad rip-off. I am a great lover of HP products mainly for their originality, but couldn't they come up with something a bit more imaginative than PalmPad?

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

4. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

+1 :)

5. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Do we think this will make it to market? If so, how long will it last?

6. jaykk macrumors 6502a

7. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Okay, the iPad is pushing it. Just because it's apple, people don't care. Now HP is doomed to another product failure... Not that many on this forum care. Also, how can it be the PALMpad if it doesn't exactly fit in someone's palm?

8. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Capitalizing on the "Palm" brand name. Nothing more.

9. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

If it fails, it can always be renamed to Palmrest. :D

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Well, an iPad doesn't exactly fit in my eye. ;)

11. heavensblade23 macrumors regular

I still wish the iPad had been called the Apple Slate.

12. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Got a feeling the pad itself is going to be a very nice product because of the great software, but its apps store still wont be anything to go crazy over like apples app store.

13. wyneken macrumors regular

I'm actually kind of curious about this particular device. It'll be interesting to see whether the combined Palm/HP operation is capable of delivering something well-thought-out and functional. This is a lot more interesting than the idea of an HP Slate running Windows, anyway.

One irony here is that, while the PalmPad will almost certainly have little if any impact on the success of the iPad, it may arrive just in time to deflect attention from the expected flood (or should I say dump?) of Windows tablets onto the market. How is any given device going to gain any traction? It'll be like those early years with MP3 players when the question was, Do I want an iPod, or do I want ... one of those other things, whatever they're called.

14. heavensblade23 macrumors regular

Some of the better Android tablets should be competitors since they're going to be sporting much better specs than the iPad when they're released. The Notion Ink Adam will have a PixelQi display.

15. wyneken macrumors regular

I'm sure you're right. Some of these Android tablets should be cool devices, definitely worth checking out. I'm wondering, though, how any of them can attract much attention, since they'll probably all be hitting the market within a few months of one another. It will be pretty easy to get lost in the crowd -- especially for products made by smaller companies with limited advertising budgets.

HP does have an advantage here, being a well-known brand and also a huge company with the finances to heavily promote its products.

Some of the makers of Windows tablets will also be large companies, like Dell. But then again, they're going to be selling a slab running Windows, and I'm kind of skeptical that consumers are going to be very excited about that.

It just seems to me that's what's about to happen is that 15 or 20 or 30 new tablet devices will be clamoring for attention, struggling for name recognition. And on the other side, there will be 10 million iPads already out there in people's hands, with a simple name that everybody knows.

I think HP has acted shrewdly and decisively so far: first by snapping up Palm with its mobile operating system already in place, and then by dropping the albatross of the Windows-based Slate. I still have trouble imagining HP transforming itself into a nimble mobile-device competitor on the field with Apple. But at least they're striking out on their own course.

16. blackNBUK macrumors 6502a

I can definitely see what you're saying here especially with respect to Android tablets. As far as I know Google has given very little leadership so far as to what an Android tablet should look like, and it seems like manufactures are each making their own decisions. I can see a situation arising where each Android tablet has a slightly different UI and personality and none of them gets the critical mass they need to really be successful.

At least by buying Palm, HP now control an entire platform from the hardware right up to the UI. The next stage is to actually follow through on the promise and get something into people's hands.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    We already went through the name arguments when people complained about "iPad".

There are only a few common descriptive names for this type of device:

Tablet = touchscreen with physical keyboard
    Slate = touchscreen with no physical keyboard
    Pad = originally short for webpad, a browser based device
    Book = any of the above, perhaps folding

If you're lazy, you simply take your company name ("Palm") or product ("Windows") or theme ("i") and add it to one of the names. Done.

18. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

19. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

I hope one launches. Competition is always good for the consumer. Plus I wanna see web OS on a tablet. PlamPad sounds good. Does palm always name it's devices with a 'p'
    Palm pre
    Palm pixi

20. wyneken macrumors regular

Palm Pilot. It goes all the way back.

21. infosprt macrumors regular

I wonder if the PalmPad will have a slide out keyboard.:D

22. b.c. macrumors 6502

or not the "HPad" :)

say, come to think of it, HP could have made sure their product "leads" the iPad in at least one way, by sorting alphabetically higher in any lists... (kinda like HAL vs IBM)